Check out our selection of running shoes from brands like New Balance, adidas, and Puma. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 4, 2020. If you read the synopsis, you probably would expect an average action flick. © Letterboxd Limited. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. Rent it, buy it but whatever you do this year - see this film. IMDb He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. The rest of the cast are also brilliant and make the film an experience in itself. I loved this artwork film - The American audience may struggle, But Paddy Considine is an acting genius. He’ll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. Director Shane Meadows (Once Upon a Time in the Midlands) doesn't shy away from delivering scenes of gripping suspense and violence, but the end result hews closer to an ambiguous meditation on the nature and effect of vengeance a la Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs than a Death Wish-style grindhouse effort. Paddy Considine's performance was stunning. Shane Meadows ode to guilt and human justice, a visceral tale of vengeance set in an unnamed town in the English Midlands. in…. Anchored by a startling performance by star Considine - who also co-wrote the screenplay-…, "God will forgive them. Dead Man's Shoes may be gritty and bestial but never once does it resemble any bombastic modern revenge films the genre has recently become interchangeable with. In my opinion the best film I have seen in a very long time, if not the best film I have ever seen. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 28, 2020. Some very funny moments between the heavier themes. A perfectly uncompromising character, who realises the self-destructive arc he's going through and ends it the only way his character ever could. He channels so much restrained anger struggling to…. Reviewed in the United States on April 9, 2019. The DVD includes some rollicking commentary by Meadows, Considine, and producer Mark Herbert; an intriguing and heartfelt featurette on Meadows and his own violent past as a teenage skinhead in 1980s England, from which he drew inspiration for this film; and an alternate (and somewhat less satisfying) final scene. love love love. As it mixes equal parts slasher and revenge flick, into a highly successful and unique twist on the genre. Having seen Paddy Considine as the evil priest in Peaky Blinders I was well aware of his acting prowess, but this was on another level. … Reviewed in the United States on March 1, 2010. Film data from TMDb. A deeply disturbing and at times hilarious film that crosses multiple genres. It has been a while since I have been this moved, disturbed, kicked and beaten while I was down by a film as I was by Shane Meadows' tale of revenge and retribution. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Help Center Contributor Zone Polls. For the 2020 holiday season, returnable items shipped between October 1 and December 31 can be returned until January 31, 2021. This is a list of hight quality "short" films. : SS . Training for the big race or enjoying a casual weekend walk? He plays a character named Richard; a soldier returning to his home town much like the green army…, get them Richard, that's what they deserve, Original Title: Dead Man's ShoesYear of Release: 2004Genres: Thriller; Crime; DramaDirector: Shane MeadowsWriters: Shane Meadows, Paddy ConsidineMain Cast: Paddy Considine, Gary Stretch, Toby Kebbell, Jo Hartley, Seamus O’Neill, Stuart Wolfenden, Paul Sadot, Paul Hurstfield, One title that came up quite often when looking for underrated films back in the day was the 2004 indie British film Dead Man's Shoes. Only his methods put both Stallone and De Niro to shame. The world feels real, the connections between characters feel real, which, once the horrible violence starts, really puts our lead's actions into perspective. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. A serious come-uppance for some disgusting characters... an excellent film that is sometimes hard to watch. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. This film actively played on my mind for days afterwards. I’ve seen his face in supporting roles, but he really takes command of the screen. Fantastically so. One by one, he hunts down each member of the gang and executes them in increasingly elaborate ways as flashbacks reveal the extent to which his brother suffered at their hands. Paddy Considine (who also co-writes) delivers an electrifying performances as Richard, just out of the military he marches into a bleak middle England town with one thing in mind, executing a bloody revenge against the gang of thug's and drug dealers who have wronged his mentally challenged younger brother Anthony (Toby Kebbell). This is one of the biggest films that has influenced me to make and watch more films. With plenty of colors, sizes, and styles to choose from, there’s something for every shopper and occasion. It’s dark but beautiful. When Richard leaves the rural village where they have grown up to join the army, Anthony is taken in by Sonny (Gary Stretch), a controlling and vicious local drug dealer and his gang of lads. so sad but so emotive. It also offers a good dose of old fashioned comeuppance, and that's a guilty pleasure the whole family can enjoy! Once again the darkness of human nature is shocking and horrific. I was rooting for Richard the whole time because this gang of average losers were absolutely evil. For the budget it had (£723,000), it really made a lot with a little. Really well done, so realistic. It feels like an arthouse film at times but that's because they shot it for five bucks and twenty two packs of Skittles or something like that. Brilliant and haunting. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. The images and characters will stay with you long after the film is over. When I first saw the cover photo I thought, nah, this probly just a junk movie. Paddy Considine is a force of nature. This is a solid movie about a soldier who returns to his hometown, committed to punishing the small-time crooks who harassed his mentally-challenged brother. Astounding realism and chilling to the bone. In my opinion the best film I have seen in a very long time, if not the best film I have ever seen. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 28, 2020. ", The story to Dead Man's Shoes is about Richard has he always protected his simple-minded little brother Anthony. Unable to add item to List. It's truly amazing what they pulled off with zero resources, and I highly recommend. Community. Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine's second collaboration is a taut and heart-rending examination of despair and guilt that sporadically embraces Shakespearian and epical characteristics to enhance the grandeur and scope exponentially.