Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts. Here we discuss the differences between butter, margarine spreads, shortening, lard and oil so that you can have a better understanding of the role fats play in your baking. TIA! If the softened butter has an oily sheen to it, it's too soft to make buttercream. ), Check the consistency of the frosting and add more cream if needed, ½ a tablespoon at a time. Looking forward to hear others oppinions and expirience butter vs oil. In some cases it may be possible to switch between oil and butter in a cake recipe but it is not something we recommend. When you purchase a digital subscription to Cake Central Magazine, you will get an instant and automatic download of the most recent issue. You’ll often see vegetable oil as a wet ingredient to be added to box cake mixes and it makes for a very glossy, runny batter. Your email address will not be published. Use … I would call myself a fairly experienced home baker. I know that butter is 80% fat, and oil is 100%, so I would need to use only 80% of the butter weight in oil, and then use a liquid to top up the other 20%, I'm thinking milk. Look on the label to check your margarine or non-dairy spread is suitable for baking. For double batches of a scratch cake or two boxes of mix, you may find it best to reduce your liquids by a couple of tablespoons for every cup of butter you … Why not join The Hummingbird Bakery mailing list for updates and news. Carrot cake typically calls for oil rather than butter because in other cakes, a butter cake, for example, the way in which the soft butter and sugar are whipped together creates a nest of tiny pocket of air which help to leaven the cake. On the rare occasion that i do use oil, the cake is more like a box mix cake in terms of mouth feel. However I want to keep some butter in there for taste/texture. Bring to room temperature before serving. Remove the cakes from the pans from pans, discard the parchment paper, and let the cakes cool completely, about 2 hours. You can use regular or decaf. Being ME (a weirdly wired earthling) I am wondering if I could use both oil & butter. Would cake flour help? Butter is great for taste, but oil has a nicer mouthfeel. The butter for the frosting should not be melty. You may unsubscribe at any time. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-low speed until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes. I ussualy use oil as substitute for butter. You can use melted butter as a direct 1:1 substitute for oil, but only up to a point. Information about your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps. I do this way after I read this blog: http://thecakeblog.com/2012/05/is-butter-better.html. 4 ounces (113 g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, 2 cups (260 g) Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour, 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder - SEE NOTE 1, 1 cup (230 g) sour cream, room temperature - SEE NOTE 2, 1 ½ cups (340 g) unsalted butter, softened - SEE NOTE 3, 6 tablespoons heavy cream, room temperature. I would also need to change the method, as I can no longer cream the butter and sugar together incorporating air into the mix. It is typically made from cow’s milk and is yellow in colour. Shortening is a general term for fat used in baking and now we use the word shortening more specifically to describe vegetable oil that has been hydrogenated. So, I'm thinking extra raising agent, creaming only egg yolks and sugar, adding oil to the eggs, whisking my egg whites, folding them in, and the flour/salt/raising agent, and my home-made instant pudding mix. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Yes, it is melting in mouth, but first impresion is that cake is dry. Mix on low until the dry ingredients are almost fully incorporated. As they are liquid fats, they are very easy to mix in and make for a very tender sponge, cookie or pancake. Pop it in the fridge for a few minutes to firm it up slightly. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature just before serving. I agree with the posters above! It is high in cholesterol as it is an animal fat but contains less saturated fat than butter. http://thecakeblog.com/2012/05/is-butter-better.html.