For instance, when you apply the balm you smell the oil and taste something sweet, so your brain thinks that is what the essential oil tastes like. Once I get that document, I’ll get in touch with you. Cool trick! This was so fun, and I’d love to try it again. The vitamin-e acts as a preservative for the balms, so they should last about one year, but just keep an eye on them for any molding since they’re all natural. Are there any other butters that work as well as Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter that might not be so heat sensitive? We haven’t tested all of them of them in soap, so I would recommend making a small test batch to see how they perform, and how the scent lasts. . So make sure to stir until it’s cooler before pouring in your container, otherwise it will settle to the bottom. Your email address will not be published. Good question. https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/lip-care-center/homemade-lip-balm-and-gloss-recipes-for-winter.html To help it suspend, we recommend stirring your balm until it’s around 125-130F before pouring. That said, I do NOT recommend anything that we do not use and love! Save my name, email, and site URL in my browser for next time I post a comment. So if you used mostly coconut oil in your recipe, that would be the first one listed, followed by the next most used, etc. If you'd like to use an image, please be a friend and credit the photo and link back to Soap Queen. Much appreciated for all the helpful tips! The natural oils such as lemon, orange or lime essential oil do work in the balm, but can make your lips more sensitive to the sun and could possibly cause sunburn. , Flavor oils: https://www.brambleberry.com/Unsweetened-C38.aspx. The vitamin-e will act as a moisturizer and preservative, the coconut oil is our moisturizer, and the beeswax will hold everything together. . Is it listed – or considered part of flavoring and just listed as “flavoring”? You can skip this step, but I personally don’t love the scent of this balm, so we like to add either a vanilla essential oil or peppermint essential oil scent to it using essential oils. You can also add in flavoring if you like, I use Candy  & Baking Flavoring oil such as cherry, watermelon, or spearmint. A word of warning: if you use too much flavor oil, the balm will not get better. Lip Smacking Sweet Flavor Oil is a liquid sweetener you can add to your lip balms at 1-3% in combination with a flavor oil or 6% on its own. Which sweetener you choose is definitely personal preference, and trying both is a great way to know for sure. Thanks, Cadence. In this case, .08 oz. Keep in mind, that is the usage rate for an entire 4 oz. For example, if you were to buy a 4 oz. Is that 1-3% including sweetener oil too? I’d be more than happy to email you a copy if you like. Additionally, the type of botanical used and the distillation method affect final usage ability. I was wondering if you need to add stevia/sweetener to a recipe with essential oils in order to “taste’ them? I’ll need to try this! Egyptian Geranium Essential Oil Grape lip balm, grape wash & grape bath bombs) so they can have it in a gift basket. Once the balms were all cooled, we added the lids to them and started working on a design for our labels. If you purchase through my link, you won’t pay a penny more, however I will receive a small percentage back. Tutorials on soapmaking, bath fizzies, lotions and more, January 5, 2014 Filed Under: Bramble Berry News. I’m so glad you like soaping! If I use Stevia (which I have never used before) how much do I use? For this batch, I used the candy oil that you can find in the baking section of your grocery store or craft store. I don’t usually use essential oils in my lip balm, but I am trying a new recipe which does.