Since I found this recipe, I have made it once a week without fail. What can I use instead of nuts, allergy reasons. Instead, I use about half a cup of brown rice syrup and 1/3 - 1/2 cup natural peanut butter to hold them together. Read More…, crispy rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies), packed brown sugar (I use light brown sugar, but you could also use dark brown sugar). If you use regular old-fashioned rolled oats, it’s likely that the bars won’t stay together well and the texture won’t be right. My husband and I eat a few of these bars each day. I’ve tried other recipes, but didn’t like the outcome. I have made these several times for the kids for afterschool snacks they are great! After pressing the mixture into the pan and while it is still warm I cut the granola into bars. This has the be the best Granola bars, roasting the oat flakes, sure brings out the nutty taste. A good tip: Grease your spoon or your hands if you are using them, when pressing the mix in the pan. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. That way it also helps to hold together better as well as to evenly distribute the chocolate. Get new recipes each week + free 5 email series. No more commercial bars for me.

Lightly spray an 8×8-inch pan or baking dish with cooking spray. You might even have all the ingredients you need to make these RIGHT NOW!! chips on top of 1/2 of them but really just ended up being messy and loved them more without them) (and I’m a huge chocolate fan) Thank-you!! It tasted good and made a good ice cream topping but I won't try them again. I’m going to enjoy trying endless variations for my family. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Is it possible that you can email me with these change in ingredients? You may as well buy the prepackaged ones. Thank you!!!! Mix rolled oats, steel-cut oats, rice cereal, dried fruit, and almonds together in a large bowl. perfect after school snack! I’m very pleased with how they turned out! You can store them either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I’ve seen a few other recipes that use a candy thermometer……. So glad you enjoyed! Bake 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. When I take the bars out I then spread the melted chips in a thin layer of chocolate over the entire batch.

Hi Jenn, it’s been a long time since I made these, but did again 2 days ago and remembered just how good these are. Instead of muffins or scones, this is my breakfast on the go. I really want to try yours, but I too have an issue with coconut as the previous poster stated. These bars have sweetness from the honey, chewiness from the raisins, hints of chocolate and cinnamon, and a bit of crunch. I also used Frosted Rice Krispies. (And some of these have been suggested in other reviews.) It's usually very inexpensive. I used what i had on hand nuts,dried cheeries,coconut and chocolate chips! I am not a breakfast food fan but these bars have changed my breakfast menu completely. Bake the bars for 25 to 30 minutes, until they're golden brown around the edges. Bake at 325 It is a bit sweet for my taste, but my kids approve. Hi Jo, you could try replacing the butter with nut butter, but I’m not 100% sure how that will affect the texture of the bars. Stir in butter, honey and vanilla until combined (mixture will be crumbly).

Whisk until sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. These are another winner for my family - we love these granola bars! The Best Chewy Honey Oat Bars Recipes on Yummly | Chewy Cherry Oat Bars, Chewy Red Raspberry Oat Bars, ... cinnamon, quick oats, honey, honey, bananas, vanilla extract and 1 more. These no-bake granola bars are the healthy granola bars recipe you want to try for breakfast. Decided to freeze the leftover bars for later use. Great recipe! Thank you for this delicious recipe! Using a … Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. I experimented with a few different ways, and here's a simple improvement to keep them together better (even out of the refrigerator). I also added some hemp hearts. I’m glad I found you. https://www.modernhoney.com/6-homemade-granola-energy-bars-recipes Info. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, peanuts, chocolate chips and sunflower kernels. Thanks for sharing. Just packed 2 in our guest’s lunch bag (so she has something to munch on during her painting class. Although, not traditional as a square a different cut might hold better. Could you please give some variations to this recipe? shredded unsweetened coconut (available at Whole Foods or natural food markets). Press into a greased parchment-lined 15x10x1-in.

Why So?? I left out the dried fruit, but think they would have been good with raisins.

Whisk and bring to a rapid boil, then turn off the heat and set aside. Hope you enjoy if you make them! Anything with oats and honey in the recipe gets my attention, so I had to try these. I found this very helpful. Amazing! Is it ok to use salted butter and omit the 1/4 tsp salt? If not, they may just need another minute or two in the oven. I would really like to make these but I am in Europe – do you know metric quantities I should use? I’m baking mine off right now, but before putting it into the oven, I took a taste off of my mixing spoon, and WOW does it taste good! One reviewer mentioned switching the butter for peanut butter. thanks…. I spread some Wow butter on top (peanut-free peanut butter) and they are perfect. Yes it provides a small amount of sugar and the peanut butter gives it flavor and helps them bond into a more stable bar. I was thinking if I make them for my grand kids (who are not allowed to bring nuts to school) I would sub out the nuts for seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame). Hi, My family eats very healthy & granola bars are apart of that.

Three of my four kids have peanut allergies, so it is always a challenge to find store bought bars that are not ‘peanut-tainted’. I used 1cup cashews instead of the fruit and almonds. Add the coconut and toss well with a rubber spatula, then place back in the oven to cook for 4 to 5 minutes more.

Nutritional information is offered as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. These are the best granola bars ever! I was very happy…I will be playing around with this recipe…Thanks for posting it! Like how much of the dried fruit & nuts (for a trail mix) to add & others flavors. Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease or spray 9 x 13 pan I'm Jenn Segal - Classically Trained Chef, Cookbook Author & Busy Mom. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @onceuponachef. Yes it provides a small amount of sugar and the peanut butter gives it flavor and helps them bond into a more stable bar. Carefully remove warm bars from the pan, and cool on a rack. The secret ingredient, believe it or not, Rice Krispies, which make the bars light and crispy. I omitted the nuts and the sunflower kernels because I didn't have any on hand. I mainly alter them by cutting sugars/honey (I have slightly elevated cholesterol and my MD recommended cutting sugar) and substituting some ingredients for what I have on hand. Cinnamon also makes a nice addition to the flavor with the nuts. I tried this, and thought it needed more cooking time, but I was wrong. Now I am hooked.

Hope you enjoy! Thanks for the recipe.

If you cook the mixture exactly as directed (until the sugar is dissolved), they will fall apart unless they are refrigerated. Sure, Bonnie – the texture will just be a bit different. Turn the granola bar mixture out into a foil-lined baking dish. Advertisement Step 2 Immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer vigorously, stirring constantly, for two minutes. This looks perfect! I know because I tried it. But stick with the basic recipe, Thanks for a great recipe. I have photos if you re interested! They will turn into granola when you try to cut them. You don't want any dry spots as this will prevent your bars from holding together. How nice that you’re doing this for your grandkids — glad they’re enjoying them! I have already been asked to make an additional batch for the next morning practice. The only other thing I would add is that the coconut flavor in these bars is very subtle and almost imperceptible. Trust me you don't need any of those ingredients if you use the brown rice syrup (about 1/2 cup of it). :) It's fun to mix up the nuts/fruit/chocolate or eliminate all together. Another reviewer mentioned cooking the butter honey and brown sugar for 2 minutes at a rolling boil. Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. This is one of the first recipes I tried from Once Upon A Chef and it was delicious!! Just the right amount of chewy and crunchy! They taste just like the store-bought chewy kind. These are so easy to make and my whole family enjoys them. Hi am curious on what I could swap out the butter for as well besides coconut oil. These are good but definitely not a healthier version of the store bought we want to imitate with all the added sugar.

Hi Katherine, You can replace any of the add-ins, as long as you keep the proportions the same. I changed the raisins to cranberries and the walnuts to almonds. I am not sure how they would have stuck to the top, as suggested. I made it yesterday with using corn syrup instead of brown sugar and reduced butter. This will be perfect as it won’t melt and should package well for shipment. Next time I might add a little crazins and some chia seeds I hope its still good with the additions. They are the best I have ever made and they taste great!! I also substituted maple sugar for brown sugar. Bake 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Pour the hot honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir well to combine. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! I add a combination of coconut, almonds, pecans walnuts and pumpkin seeds as well as a tablespoon or two of ground flax for omega 3's and fiber. This looks great but I have a question.

I add a combination of coconut, almonds, pecans walnuts and pumpkin seeds as well as a tablespoon or two of ground flax for omega 3's and fiber. I’ve always liked the chewy ones better than the crunchy ones myself, which can sometimes be a little dry and crumbly. Very tasty! After placing them in the baking dish and before placing them in the refrigerator to set up, I melt half a bag of dark chocolate morsels on top in the oven for 2 - 3 minutes for sweetness. These homemade granola bars are one of my most favorite make-at-home items ever! When I take the bars out I then spread the melted chips in a thin layer of chocolate over the entire batch. I made them last night for a brunch bar this morning!