Of the 12 Dream Teamers, eight are individual Hall of Famers – Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Clyde Drexler, Patrick Ewing, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, David Robinson and John Stockton. O'Neal said in a radio interview during the 2012 NBA Finals. So while Shaquille O'Neal (LSU) and Alonzo Mourning (Georgetown) were probably better players at the time, Laettner did have star power of his own. Looking back at the famous USA "Dream Team" basketball roster from 1992, Christian Laettner's name sticks out as a strange inclusion among Hall of Fame talents. Since the international lane at the time was a trapezoid, O’ Neal’s game was not well suited. However, the decision was made that at least one amateur player would be included on the squad since the Olympics had previously only been for amateur players despite the best NBA stars heading to the games for the USA in 1992. Christian Laettner - Career stats, game logs, leaderboard appearances, awards, and achievements for international club and tournament play Dream Team: How Michael, Magic, Larry, Charles, and the Greatest Team of All-Time Conquered the World and Changed the Game of Basketball Forever, A Knicks Fan And A Heat Fan Walk Into A Bar…, Cutler: Offense was inflexible under Martz, Owner Micky Arison soaks in the Miami Heat’s Game 7 win, San Antonio Spurs Spurs Enter a Summer of Uncertainty, A Not-So Friendly Clasico Exposed The Gap Between Messi & Neymar, And They Can Be Used Again for Mexican Night, Asomugha Rips Raiders for Settling With Being a Mediocre Franchise, It’s Time Brent Musburger Apologized to John Carlos and Tommie Smith, A Random Shaquille O'Neal College Highlight Reel Just Because - The Sports Fan Journal, TSFJ Week 10 Fantasy Football Waiver Wire Report, TSFJ Week 9 Fantasy Football Waiver Wire Report, TSFJ Week 8 Fantasy Football Waiver Wire Report, Six Fantasy Football Buy-Low Candidates to Trade For. In context, though, his appearance on perhaps the greatest squad of all-time is somewhat defensible. As the most recent ESPN documentary series, The Last Dance, highlighting the career of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, aired Episodes Five and Six on Sunday night, a major point in the two hours was the 1992 United States of America Olympic Men’s Basketball Dream Team. Learn. I played the most with Mullie but I played with almost every one of them for at least five minutes. For one thing, if you got the ball passed to you with that lineup, it meant you were pretty wide open.”. His Elite Eight buzzer beater against Kentucky that year remains iconic. I was jealous," O'Neal said in a radio interview during the 2012 NBA Finals. Wilkens is already enshrined as a player and coach. Looking back at the famous USA "Dream Team" basketball roster from 1992, Christian Laettner's name sticks out as a strange inclusion among Hall of Fame talents. O'Neal and Mourning went on to become dominant NBA centers, and there's a strong case one of them should have been named the "Dream Team" youngster regardless of how well Laettner performed at Duke. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. “I’m bringing my whole family to Springfield, for this is a wonderful honor.”. "It was someone else.". Laettner said the foregone conclusion of a U.S. gold medal did not dim the competitive fire of the players. Plus he stayed all four years and graduated. Looking back at the famous USA "Dream Team" basketball roster from 1992, Christian Laettner's name sticks out as a strange inclusion among Hall of Fame talents. Sure, I had to use my head and realize what it was. “I loved every second of it, playing 1-on-1 against those guys in practice and trying to learn. Laettner didn't play much as the "Dream Team" rolled to a gold medal finish, averaging 4.8 points per game in his eight appearances.