All of the benefits of using squalane on the face also apply to the body.

What’s the texture like? In the morning, cleansing is an optional step, but applying a sunscreen (or a moisturizer with an SPF) as a final step becomes critically important. Thanks! This Lightweight Moisturiser Gives My Skin A Natural Glow, This Lip Balm Saved My Flaky Chapped Lips This Winter. How did you like it?

It makes skin more prone to sun damage, too, so use it at night. Nicole, retinal is a retinoid.

However, just because it's weaker doesn't mean retinol won't also give you results. Contains 0.5 percent retinol, equivalent to 0.025 percent retinoic acid.

Maya is a makeup artist turned freelance writer from Toronto, now traveling the world. The ingredients are super-clean, and they're by far the most affordable retinoids on the market. There are two active ingredients to choose from, in varying strengths. April, yes you have to start with the lowest (granactive retinoid 2%). Cosmetically, this helps the skin feel smoother and more supple, but it also has an important effect on the health of the skin. The squalane oil with help push all the previous products deeper into the skin, and will create a protective layer that will not let any moisture escape. Squalane is a fascinating lipid that is starting to gain some serious traction as a phenomenal skin care ingredient. I’ve been using serum with 0,1% adapalen for a past 2 months, and before that I’ve been taking Accutane for the whole winter. Here, we break down the appropriate The Ordinary regimens to treat acne, dryness, and other common skin concerns. All rights reserved. All of the benefits of using squalane on the face also apply to the body. If you use Tretinoin, you DON’T need any other type of retinoid. 63329 loves.

Have you heard? In your case it’s especially important because you’re already drying out your skin with dermarolling. Nausheen, you did move in the right direction, so go ahead with 1% retinol now. : 0.2% Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate + an encapsulated retinol. Value size. A moderate-strength retinoid with an oil texture. Hi! Produces low to no irritation (I didn't experience any).

Hi Gio, Thank you so much for this post, I really find it helpful. This squalane was just recently made available at Nordstrom. Oil cleansing is better done with oils that have a thicker texture, like mineral oil, that will quickly melt done makeup, won’t become absorbed by the skin, and will not cost too much. It also increases skin’s sensitivity to the sun. online only. She is passionate about all things related to the science of beauty, and values clear and concrete results over marketing buzz. Related: What Strength Of Retinol Do You Need? : Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel Vs The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, Are They Dupes? So its benefits are much more proven than HPR's. Thanks for your helpful insight. Both of these products are also great choices if your skin can't tolerate oils. Not a new product—they just gave Advanced Retinoid 2% (originally reviewed. Hello! Try switching to an oil-free retinol serum and see if that helps. The Ordinary's complete range of retinoids. This would be an ideal anti-aging treatment for the eye area, since it won't irritate the delicate skin there. This all natural brand carries a squalane oil derived from olive oil. The best time to use squalane oil on the body is right after a shower. Have you tried The Ordinary's retinoids yet?What results have you noticed? Quantity. Have you tried squalane on your skin? What do you think, is squalane suitable for oily skin? Sascha, yes, squalene oil is one of the few oils that’s suitable for oily skin too. This thin oil is barely felt on the skin, and yet it blocks a fair bit of moisture from escaping, leaving the skin hydrated. Moderately irritating (although I didn't experience any). I haven't! We use cookies to personalize content and ads, provide social media features, and analyze our traffic.

However, it is also perfectly fine to use as a hair mask for an hour or two (or even overnight!)

Do I first start off with retinal and work my way up to retinoids or is it the other way around? This is because the Granactive Retinoid complex ALSO contains a solvent called dimethyl isosorbide, in a 10:1 ratio with the HPR. SIZE: 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Standard size. What form of retinoid does it use? Thank you. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. But your answer helps, thanks! Its all very confusing, especially since Deciem insists that the granactive 5% is the strongest retinol in their arsenal.
That’s enough to treat photoaging. Worry not.

Right now, there isn't any way of knowing what percentage of retinoic acid or retinol the HPR is equivalent to. Get a bottle for you from Amazon to give it a try! Retinoic acid, also known as tretinoin or Retin-A, is the active form of vitamin A, which binds directly to the skin cells' retinoid receptors. I’m 60, live in dry Colorado and trying to keep my skin as wrinkle free as possible.

Are They Dupes? This 100% plant-derived squalane product actively hydrates and also prevents the loss of hydration.

A moderate-strength retinol with an oil texture.

Download your FREE 'Best Anti-Aging Skincare Routine" cheatsheet to find out what really works to prevent aging and minimise wrinkles (plus, weekly tips).

Can you help me figure out which one I should start with. I think TO retinol products are great, but I don’t really recommend them to oily skin for this reason. The formula is the same as Granactive Retinoid 2% In Squalane but with a higher concentration of HPR. Hi, I'm Gio! I just recently came across your page and I am looking to get into retinoids through the ordinary brands.

"It may just take longer to see results with retinol-based products.". I’m wondering now if that to do with the Retinol? HPR is a retinoid acid ester, a fancy way of saying it doesn’t need to be converted into retinoic acid (the active form of Vitamin A) once absorbed by the skin.

The downside is potential irritation. It is unsurprising that a brand that appreciates simplicity and efficacy as much as The Ordinary would release one of the best squalane oils. : Anyone who wants to treat their first fine lines and/or is ready to upgrade from Retinol 0.2% In Squalane. : Lightweight oily texture that sinks quickly into the skin. I recommend you start with 0.2% retinol and build up from there. Play eeny meeny miny moe?

Here's how I'd summarize the differences: Personally, what I am doing is using the Retinol 0.5% or 1% in Squalane all over my face, except for the eye area, where I'm applying the Granactive Retinoid 2%. I’ve been using 2% retinoid thus far and I was wondering if I could replace it with 0.5% retinol (I’d like to try something stronger). No, no, not at the same time, of course ?. The Ultimate Guide To The Ordinary Retinoid Products: Which One Should You Choose? How to Use Squalane for the Body. Squalane is a saturated lipid that is produced when squalene is hydrogenated – in other words, combined with hydrogen.

I’m a nerd, so I like to decode the labels and figure out which retinol serum has the best ingredients for my skin type.