Copyright: Writer(s): John Denver, Bill Danoff, Taffy Nivert Danoff Lyrics Terms of Use, Almost heaven, West Virginia They did, and the single went to number 1 on the Record World Pop Singles Chart and the Cash Box Top 100, and number 2 on the U.S. Nivert got out an encyclopedia to learn a little more about West Virginia, and the first thing that came upon was the Rhododendron, the state flower, so she kept trying to work the word Rhododendron into the song. Miner's lady, stranger to blue water Billboard Hot 100, topped only by "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" by The Bee Gees. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ©2020 Country Road TV, LLC. Native Hawaiian singer Israel Kamakawiwoʻole covered the song on his 1993 album Facing Future, featuring his personal rendition of the piece in relation to the Hawaiian Islands and his life there, mentioning West Mākaha and Mount Kaʻala. The band performed the song live on Top of the Pops. 1 on the iTunes singles chart. [8], The geographical features named in the first verse of the lyrics - Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River - which are more prominent in the state of Virginia than in West Virginia, can be found in Jefferson County, West Virginia.[9]. to the place I belong “It highlights everything we love about our state: scenic beauty, majestic mountains, a timeless way of life, and most of all, the warmth of a place that feels like home whether you've lived here forever or are just coming to visit.”[16], The Mountain State Brewing Company based in Thomas, West Virginia, produces an amber ale called "Almost Heaven," which it says is "named after John Denver's ode to West Virginia, Country Roads". [48] The official YouTube upload of the original John Denver recording, initially uploaded in 2013, would later edit its description in response to the song's use for the game. [5] According to a radio interview with Nivert, the road is close to Washington, D.C., where Denver often worked. A one-stop shop for farmhouse decorators! [12], The song was played at the funeral for West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd at the state capitol in Charleston on July 2, 2010. On the way, Denver's left thumb was broken in a collision. Take me home, country roads, All my memories gather 'round her Younger than the mountains, growing like a breeze, Country roads, take me home The song is the theme song of West Virginia University and it has been performed during every home football pregame show since 1972. And drivin' down the road, I get a feelin [7], Starting December 22, 1970, Denver was heading the New Year's bill at The Cellar Door, with Fat City opening for him, just as Denver had opened at the same club for then headliner David Steinberg. Today, the landscape around Clopper Road has changed drastically due to development and little resembles the countryside scenery that once surrounded it. The song, which plays a part in the plot of the film, is humorously renamed "Concrete Roads" and reflects on Honna's character's hometown in western Tokyo. If you like what you see and want to Subscribe. You'll love Country Door's rustic décor, furniture, quilts and more...and a Decorate Now, Pay Later credit plan! "John Denver - UNPLUGGED COLLECTION [IMPORT] Music CDs" (list), Choose, 2007, webpage: Learn how and when to remove this template message, "American single certifications – John Denver – Take Me Home, Country Road", Recording Industry Association of America, "Top 30 Digital Country Downloads: January 24, 2020", "Mountain mama!