Like lettuce, the roots of salsify, when broken, release a milky substance, and like chicory roots and Jerusalem artichokes, they contain inulin, which is good for controlling blood sugar and providing a pleasing sensation in the mouth, maybe a sensation that resembles an oyster.
Actually, Deborah Madsen is called The Oracle at my house, as in "I wonder what The Oracle has to say about mushroom soup." Taste for salt and season with pepper. These can serve as a tidy little nibble for a pass-around, made slightly larger for a first course, or large still for a vegetable main course. It’s not much fun to go out in this weather, but in the interest of being frugal as well as being curious, I did. Lay the cheese over the top, season with freshly ground pepper, and cover the pan.

I thought it would go in one direction, but instead it went in two. I didn’t try to turn things into vegan recipes; I just labeled things that just happened to be. If you want the zesty hit of the shallot, toss it, once diced, with just a few drops of vinegar and let stand for a few minutes. Another dish I never tired of is chard cooked leisurely in its own moisture with a few tablespoons of rice and a lot of cilantro, cumin and garlic. Both are worth their weight in gold. Oil a 9 x 3 inch round cake pan and set the pan on a rimmed sheet pan.
It is, however, ever reliable, useful, and can be prepared in all sorts of ways. And what’s wrong with orange?”  But if white carrots are what you have, well, you give things a try. As for varieties, there are not besides Mammoth Sandwich Island Salsify and Black Giant Russian Scorzonera, except in the Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook where there are several varieties of each. I came back inside chilled, but with arms full— more hairy salsify roots, a few leeks, plenty of red skinned Walspinel Jerusalem artichokes and a few giant carrots, mostly white and pale yellow. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or more, to taste, 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped. I did want to take out certain recipes that were possibly not appropriate, because they were maybe too complicated, or too rich. I didn’t know that I liked carrots that much. The next Esssential Vegan Desserts Course starts course starts November 10, 2020! Entered for safe-keeping.

1 pound of white carrots, scrubbed and thinly sliced, A few tablespoons finely diced orange (and/or other colored carrots, for garnish) plus some of the finer greens, chopped. I had somehow forgotten about egg salad, but with the tarragon and chives emerging in the garden, eggs becoming more numerous with the lengthening days, and some very good bread in the house, egg salad suddenly came sharply into view. Seared Radicchio with Blue Cheese                                    for 2, or even 1, 1 head of radicchio di Chioggia (about the size of a grapefruit). You know those nights when you want something new and different to eat, but you just don't have the energy to figure it out? Lots of companies stock seed packets for this gem. When hot, add it to the pot, maintain a simmer, cover the pan and cook until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. They turn brown.