As it supposes an extinction of all law and government previous to the establish∣ment of the principles of a future system; and, as it is the duty of every good Citizen to endeavour to procure to his country the best possible situation he can devise, it opens a wide field for Patriot Exertions. Whoever, in future, shall be arrested in his career by the charge of sedition, will answer calmly. Related Terms: Federalism, Government, Constitutional Law, Common Law The executive, legislature and the judiciary are created by the constitution; their authority is derived from the constitution. (5)       Anthony King (2000) The Anthony king’s working definition underline that, a constitution is the set of the most important rules that regulate the relations among different parts of the government of a given country and also the relations between parts of the government and the people of the country. I. If this was the sentiment ex∣pressed in some of the cahiers of instruction, was it not implied in every one of them, who unanimously declare their attachment to the Monarchy, with the other three orders of the state, which they declare to be the lawful supreme Legislature of the kingdom, and which they look up to as the redress of all their grievances, and the Palladium of their liberties? Note: If the content of this material is useful for your academic work(s), feel free to contact us anytime for your assignments and term papers (any topic). (3)        W.E.F Ward (1976) Ward is the proponent of constitution as a social contract; he emphasizes that, we the people agree that, you rule us principally to the extent that is provided in the constitution while we shall enjoy the rights and privileges stated there in. What is the rising action of faith love and dr lazaro? Nomadic Education in Nigeria: Principles and Strategies, Interpersonal Relationship between Teacher and Student; Teacher and Teacher and School Management and Community, definition of constitution by different authors pdf, definition of constitution in black's law dictionary, what is a constitution and why is it important, church planting in nigeria: issues and prospects, Officiating and Hooliganism in Nigeria Football, the effect of family background on academic performance of secondary school students in Nigeria, Family Variables and Academic Performance among Pupils in Social Studies, Apartheid Experiences of Black African’s in Alex Laguma’s A Walk in the Night And Peter Abraham’s Tell Freedom. You have told us, Sir, what a Consti∣tution is and what it is not. (4)        Hood Philips (1987) Philips argues that, constitution can be perceived into two different senses namely; Abstract sense and Concrete sense. Page  14and worthy only of the elevated con∣templations of the Doctors of the Modern School. Sovereignty has three elopements; the power to constitute a frame of the government, the power to choose those to run the government, and the powers involved in governing. In some minimal sense of the term, a constitution consists of a set ofnorms (rules, principles or values) creating, structuring, andpossibly defining the limits of, government power or authority.Understood in this way, all states have constitutions and all statesare constitutional states. The philosopher Aristotle (384–322 b.c. Constitution is the social contract between the rulers and the ruled, the ruled agreeing to be ruled subject to the extent that is provided in the constitution. It is acknowledged fact that, there is no definite definition of constitution; the approaches in defining constitution are not uniform, the definitions are highly based on social economic and political environment surrounding a given state jurisdiction. Ano ang Imahinasyong guhit na naghahati sa daigdig sa magkaibang araw? I shall suppose now that the Representatives are wiser than their Constituents; that the body of elements they have devised, is as much better as you please than those that were committed to their protection; nay, I will suppose even that the Nation "enlightened" since by the force of eloquence and of the lanthorn, are at this moment of the same opinion with the As∣sembly; The context of the constitution should not be limited to legal document regulating the affairs of the state. Page  13millions of individuals equal, free, and inde∣pendent, bind themselves to abide by a Go∣vernment to be formed upon the Consti∣tution they adopt; to make a multitude and a multitude so compound, capaple of comprehending, discussing, and determining the nice subtleties of the Elements of civil Polity, without which apprehension and deliberation, their consent is that of an Infant or an Idiot; a mockery and mere form; to frame these principles of Government and Legislation upon so broad a basis, article by article, as to embrace at once all the possible circumstances and situations, to be bound by them hereafter, any defect in which can have no other remedy but that of an appeal to the people in the state in which alone they are competent to form a new Constitution: lastly, to give efficacy, system, stability, and permanence to a fabric built upon the change∣able base of the pupularis aura—Such an idea, however sublime, of the only hold by which mankind are to be cemented rightfully in social relation to each other, is, in truth, a Philosophy little framed for useful purposes, Constitution is the product of both the ruled and the rulers. I had always had a strange veneration for the word Constitution, though, to say the truth, till Page  11purpose of considering the new body of ele∣ments he has to propound. With due submission, Sir, to your in∣structive judgment, suffer me to doubt at least, whether the term, in your sense of it, can be, with more propriety, applied to the present state of France since the Revolution, than it would under the Monarchy they have done away. government of a counry,the collection of rules which establish and To obtain the ac∣tual consent (for, alas! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This definition by Bryce is a narrower one. Give 10 different definitions of constitution using 10 different authors and the name of the author’s page. Define Constitution By Ten Different Scholars If you are 13 years old when were you born? I am now instructed, that it is a thing both in fact and name: By this definition, it is indeed clear, that neither France nor England ever had a Con∣stitution, nor any other country that I ever heard of. A legislative charter by which a government or group derives its authority to act. Page  15when they suffer, and will seek a remedy; when they do not suffer, they will, if they are wise, turn their ear from those who try to obtrude upon them their nostrums and me∣dical disquisitions, which in one case will make them at least hypocondriac and fan∣tastic, and in the other, tends to render them dissatisfied, turbulent, and mischievous Citizens. Definition of a constitution: By Thomas Paine. Conversely, this aspect of a constitution being a contract have been challenged by professor Issa G. Shivji who argues that, the fact that constitution is a contract between the rulers and the ruled is not correct either historically or legally, for there is no evidence that the rulers and the ruled sit together and negotiate a contract called constitution. Like so many other excellent devices, I fear it is only fitted to the speculation of the closet and the regions of metaphysical theory. Anything recognizable as a state must havesome means of constituting and specifying the limits (or lack thereof)placed upon the three basic forms of government power: legislativepower (making new laws), executive power (implementing … It is the superlative law of the land, not the Government neither an individual can claim to be superior to the constitution. According to Lord Bruce –“ Constitution is the aggregate of laws and customs under which the life of the state goes on “. (1)        Lord Bolingbroke (1733) According to the 1733 definition of Lord Bolingbroke (1678-1751), by constitution we mean, wherever we speak with propriety and Exactness that Assemblage of laws, institutions and Customs, derived from certain fixed principles of Reason, that compose the general system, according to which the community hath agreed to be governed. after all, the virtual consent, through delegates, is little better than a mere fiction of law), by which Implementing a community’s constituent power, a constitution not only confers powers of government, but also defines the extent of those powers, and therefore their limits, in relation to individual members of the community. Constitution proceed from nothing but rather the will of the people to be governed, it is the exercise of the sovereignty of the people. The concept of a constitution dates to the city-states of ancient Greece. constitution noun [C] (LAWS) C1 the set of political principles by which a state or organization is governed, especially in relation to the rights of the people it governs: Britain has no written constitution. The CEO of Sir Pee Integrated Services and www.libraryguru.com and www.projectvilla.com.ng. Rights of Man, by Thomas Paine, &c. &c. &c. WHAT a fortunate Age is this, Mr. Paine, when every thing is defined, every thing laid open to the meanest capacities, every prejudice done away, and Truth stands blushing before us stripped stark naked! Pagkakaiba ng pagsulat ng ulat at sulating pananaliksik? Introduction For complete project material - call us with 07068634102 Constitution is the source of power to constitute a legal framework of the Government; it describes sovereignty of the people and peoples powers to choose those to run the Government. When did organ music become associated with baseball? Luminous, however, Sir, as your happy definition cannot but be esteemed, the more we reflect upon it; and pregnant with all the benefits to mankind which the philantropy of Modern Philosophy is so eager to impart; one regret offers itself upon the perusal of it, viz. Constitution definition is - the basic principles and laws of a nation, state, or social group that determine the powers and duties of the government and guarantee certain rights to the people in it. I de∣serve a crown of laurel, not a halter. How to use constitution in a sentence. The Constitution of a Country is not the act of its Government, but of the People constituting a Government. It is a primordial power, the ultimate mark of the people’s sovereignty. contact us for complete project material at affordable price. Definitions of Constitution by different scholars. I am ignorant of the term; to in∣cite my Fellow Citizens to the exercise of a lawful right, for their own good, can never be imputed as a crime. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply. Constitution is the corner stone to define the powers and composition of the organs of the state and inter connect the Government daily activities with the people.