It's also extremely poorly written - too academic and with. When I talk about the feminism I know - up close and per­ sonal- they willingly listen, although when our conversations end, Reviewed in the United States on July 15, 2019. bell hooks is amazing and this is a great intro or primer to feminist thought. '"Feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression." I love it. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on March 14, 2018. Not until recently had I emerged out of the rock I was living under and located the, I liked this book and would absolutely recommend it, but I think the title was misleading and it didn't serve hook's purpose, as I understood it. It's one of the few times I've been so harsh with a review here on Goodreads, but this book did not accomplish any of the things outlined in its beginning thesis. Her earlier works are great if you want a taste of angry lesbian, black feminist. However, for the new edition, there was no update as to how to discuss feminism and educate in a broader sense according to our culture, social media, millenialism, etc. This page works best with JavaScript. I enjoyed this little introduction to (intersectional!) There's a big emphasis on intersectionality in feminism nowadays, which I appreciate and agree with, but it's been a little difficult for me to envision how everything would work together in terms of policy and activism. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, See all details for Feminism is for Everybody, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Instead, this book gives great background on the movement and provided me with minimal new information. It's a great book for any sort of in. I've used this book in first year writing classes to teach about feminist politics and it's been really successful. I would never recommend this as a feminism primer to someone. It's the sort of book that should be on every school syllabus, to open discussions and make young people think about these issues. In future feminist movement we need to work harder to show parents the ways ending sexism positively changes family life. I am the perfect target audience for this book, a curious outsider eager to learn more about the movement. So I appreciate her perspective and thought I would read this "primer," which another friend thought highly of. They do not even think about feminism as being about rights - about women gaining equal rights. Wow, for a short book, without too many five dollar words, this work is extremely thorough and requires a lot of work and contemplation on the part of the reader. It is a must read that highlights the ways that class privilege has led many women to contribute to the oppression of working class women, and how framing feminism as a commodity or lifestyle has undermined its importance. I'm very glad I read this book. Hers is a vision of a beloved community that appeals to all those committed to e. Acclaimed cultural critic bell hooks offers an open-hearted and welcoming vision of gender, sexuality, and society in this inspiring and accessible volume. It's the sort of book that should be on every school syllabus, to open discussions and make young people think about these issues. In their book Beyond Critique, Bradley Levinson and his co-authors identify feminism as one of the many “critical theories” that have developed since the seminal work of Karl Marx. And for as many times as bell hooks mentioned feminist education needing to be easy to read and understand, I found many paragraphs hard to focus on for all the jargon. Can we change if we are unconscious about it ? Also, I recall reading Hooks in a collection of feminist essays way back in 1999 or so and appreciating her particular perspective. I do intend to read more of Bell Hooks' work. there are little hints of the man-pandering mega-christian hooks was to become here, bu. This was a good read for understanding the history of feminism, how it has been misrepresented, and in educating how we all contribute to a dialogue and a culture that should embrace equality. A while back I was accused of being a feminist, to which my reply was "am not!" Now you can check out my, One of the things I love about bell hooks is that she writes radical books for widely different audiences. It's a very smart book that challenges everyone, men and women, to think about power and privilege. This is just another example of the academization of feminism hooks critiques; Its language is not exactly easy to follow, it assumes sympathy to feminism from the first page, and relies on, I liked this book and would absolutely recommend it, but I think the title was misleading and it didn't serve hook's purpose, as I understood it. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. “If any female feels she need anything beyond herself to legitimate and validate her existence, she is already giving away her power to be self-defining, her agency.”, “In a culture which holds the two-parent patriarchal family in higher esteem than any other arrangement, all children feel emotionally insecure when their family does not measure up to the standard.