Smells like old coffee. It tastes like actual garbage water. I drink 3rd wave espresso. As for the lab coat, I only wear it when the safety manager is around (shhh!). I have toyed with French Presses and a Chemex but they are too much work for a week day morning. Tasting supermarket and instant coffees. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Without the heat, a lot of the oils and aromatic compounds are left behind, good or bad. I found the resulting cup to be nutty and not bad, but bitter at the end none-the-less. Since it's cheaper and she drinks 6 cups a day, that's what she gets. 36g of preground coffee freshly opened, ground again in my capresso on medium (just to try to tease a few bits more of aroma/flavor from the grounds). Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Good info! If you’re just making a cup for yourself, keep it standard and go for 12 ounces, filling the measuring cup to about 13 ounces to account for evaporation and coffee absorption. I ran it through the auto drip, and I took a sip of the coffee and immediately dumped the whole carafe. Bitter. For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avMUX. It is drinkable. Sit down at my favorite spot in the kitchen, look out the window, fire up r/coffee. Cookies help us deliver our Services. I wanted to see what Folgers would taste like made in my careful loving hands. It's possible the extra grinding made more fines and that's where the bitter is coming from, but the filter didn't get clogged and slow down, so I don't think that's it. No, espresso is a darker roast and a super fine grind. Unbleached filters, then rinsed again. You can purchase a home espresso machine from a store (walmart/kohls etc...), and with a little practice, you too will be able to make a mean mocha! Coarse is for a French press coffee machine, medium (the most popular and most likely what you have) is for a slow drip coffee machine with the filters, and fine is for an espresso machine (very expensive). Think this is why people and corporations cold brew their oldest and/or unbalanced beans that way. Through an aeropress it's really good, Local shop did the same thing https://instagram.com/p/BKobCEIBkln/. If you have regular Folgers - it is probably a medium grind. This will make the coffee stronger and be the closest alternative to an expensive espresso machine. I have a subscription service where i get fancy beans shipped to me from all over. Just ran out of coffee and ordered a new bag from Verve. It does still taste a bit like old coffee, but it isn't as bitter or "bark/twig" tasting as yesterday. I'm convinced that Folgers stretches their coffee with aromatized burnt twigs. I'm really trying to give it a chance (for science! Enough for me to give out to a guest without embarassment, I swear cold brewing makes cheap coffee taste great and now strictly use only cheap coffee for it. I think Mark Prince from coffee geek does this once a year. One thing that's nice about Folgers is the grind is consistent. It would taste more like strong Folger's (medium roast coffee) than espresso, but it wouldn't be bad. LOL. TL;DR: Yes it's drinkable, in the loosest sense of the word. it's the cheap stuff but it'll suffice your craving for sure. just buy the medium roast beans and grind fine for a real espresso machine. I've even used giant cans of preground Costco coffee and it comes out great. Stale. It is then "Tamped" (Or compacted slightly) and hot water is forced through the grounds, to create a much stronger, darker type coffee. What department did you work at Folgers? In a Nutshell? Agree. We have drank Folgers Classic Roast for several years now. Our Ninja coffee pot (do not recommend) bit the dust and it was time for an upgrade. The only folgers I like is black silk. We just decided to smell the coffee in … espresso is the grind. I would serve this to anyone who wasn't a coffee snob. When the coffee is flowing upwards and the top is too hot, it won't flow out the tube, it's going to sputter coffee everywhere, and then you have to close the lid so you don't make a mess. Afterwards, let it continue boiling for 2 more minutes before removing it from the heat. Brewed it in a few different ways: First in my Aeropress.. boy was it bitter. I don't know what else I expected. I hope you had a lab coat on and safety goggles. I'm just having a little fun reminding myself WHY I read coffee forums and WHY I bother with the effort of making really tasty coffee. Get your answers by asking now. the good stuff is from the light roast. Folgers is....acceptable only in situations of desperation. You could, of course, simply make a very strong pot of Folger's and serve in in espresso cups (very small cups) with a twist of lemon peel. Another problem from a hot upper chamber is that the first drops of coffee are going to be instantly vaporized, leaving burnt coffee in the pot and that's going to increase the bitterness of the final brew. What would happen if regular Folgers is used in an espresso machine? Rest of the world moves on as Trump won't concede, Britney Spears will not perform again due to legal setback, Fox News host shuts down Graham's money plea, Student debt cancellation in focus amid Biden transition, Study pinpoints places people are most likely to get COVID-19, Ex-cop in Breonna Taylor case accused of sex assault, 'I'm not going to say that': Tebow wouldn't call this play, Hotel that put American in jail gets Tripadvisor label, New 'Bachelorette' suitor tests positive for coronavirus, Jason Momoa: We were starving after 'GOT', Georgia audit to trigger hand recount of presidential vote. Thanks for your insight. In the name of science! My wife and I mistakenly bought her dad a big tub if preground Folgers about 6 months ago. I haven't added sugar or anything, so I guess it gets a generic pass as "drinkable." Yep. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. It doesn't have an oily mouthfeel, but it feels "thicker" than my typical beans. To make coffee without a coffee maker, start by combining coffee grounds and water in a saucepan. Maxwell House is like drinking motor oil. This will make the coffee stronger and be the closest alternative to an expensive espresso machine. Espresso is made from espresso beans, which are coffee beans that have been given a very dark roast (some people even think of espresso beans as burnt). It pains me to say this: this coffee I have today is not terrible. To make an espresso drink with this, put in extra coffee and less water (3 table spoons per cup). There's local roasters in town that I go get pour over from to make sure I'm still doing things right. The added suspicion of non-sustainable farming methods and supply chains would be a factor in my long-term consumption of this product. How to brew a better cup of coffee. I do believe it feels like it has more caffeine (if that's important to you). Wait. After converting to fresh whole beans, I don't know how anyone can drink the abominations of pre-ground bulk coffee and think it is good. /r/ Coffee is a place to discuss any and all things coffee. I was cleaning a 3-burner Bunn auto drip, and needed to do some tests on taste and consistency and what not, so I went to buy cheap coffee (maxwell house). The truth is if you can only afford $0.25/oz for coffee, this might not be a terrible option. As an aside, I'm a microbiologist, and I almost never wear safety goggles. My second experiment was with the v60 - same result.. Lastly I tried cold brewing it - 16hrs in a Takeya.. this morning I took out the canister, filtered it through a v60 to get rid of the fines.. then got a cup of ice and poured it in.. to my surprise.. it's decent! Seriously, anything pre-ground will be stale due to the surface area (even craft-roasted coffee). Not quite as smooth as my 16-20$ 12oz bag of beans.. but it's quite decent. you might prefer the darkest roast u can find. Espresso is ground much more fine than regular folgers coffee. it'll give u a good jolt because the caffeine content is slightly higher especially from a fresh roast and grind. am I just being pretentious?". We thought the awful taste of the coffee was because the coffee maker was new. My method (same I usually use for my own roast and single origins in the Chemex): Chemex, rinsed. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Repeat to 550ml. Fill to 300ml, stir a couple times, let it drain down a bit. The results? According to baristas and coffee experts, How to Make Coffee in a Coffee Maker. So I'm here all out of coffee.. and as a last resort, I decided to try out the Folgers! Press J to jump to the feed. It's actually not a bad experiment to try. Press J to jump to the feed. The more fine the grind the stronger the coffee and caffeine. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Discard filter and pour into my most beautiful, pleasing mug and saucer. It was more of a curiosity/science thing to compare the taste of it to my own roasted beans and craft beans I drink. It was suspiciously cheap, like 6 bucks for a 14oz tin. Cowboy Coffee - Instructions First, measure out your desired amount of cold water. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. ), but I simply have to imagine no amount of flavor seal (tm) technology can help it. If you were hoping to save some money in 2020, preparing a cup of morning atmosphere at home could be an easy place to start, not to mention that it is better for the environment if you can skip a disposable cup. Allowed to brew for twice the time and it tastes like it's under-done. what would happen if someone drank an entire bottle of crystal light drink mix liquid? I think I'll try it again tomorrow without any agitation, and see if the bitterness drops a little. "Bloom" grounds for :30 (it didn't really bloom, though). I roast my own beans. Large folgers tins are a bargain for cold brew. I have no misconception that the beans aren't old. If I had to absolutely live with it, id start adding milk/sugar in to it. do you perfer black coffee or espresso better? Update: today I used more grounds 45g:550ml, did not regrind it, did not agitate it. I also saw that it didn't bloom. So it's got that going for it. It allowed me to further appreciate the difference in brew methods and also to determine what stale coffee actually tastes like. Is there such thing as being “too old” to drink milk? It wasn't freshly opened, but I don't think it would have mattered. How do you think about the answers? We ended up keeping the tub since her dad actually wanted instant coffee (he's definitely not the third wave coffee type of guy). Like many things in life, I would recommend that everyone try it one time just so they have a point of reference. And it also kinda tastes like it has bark/twigs in it. Still have questions? This is what is used in coffee house drinks such as lattes cappuccinos and such. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Repeat to 425ml. Should I make tea or instant coffee in my hot water heater . You never look at your annual coffee bill and think to yourself "am I wasting money? What will the coffee taste like? This may be the first time I've drank a blend of arabica and robusta, so it may partially be that. I bought Folgers for the kid when I discovered that she can't differentiate between "good" coffee and "bad" coffee because of the quantity of cream/sugar/chocolate she insists she needs. It's never and in the trash. If you have regular Folgers - it is probably a medium grind. This is the third day the coffee tasted awful. Like, to remind myself WHY I spend the time roasting fresh beans or WHY I spend $1/oz or more for craft coffee beans. You can sign in to vote the answer. Fortunately the caffeine comes through just fine. what is your favorite drink in the morning? Let boiling water sit for :60. We just purchased a new coffee maker. There are coarse, medium, and fine grinds.