Steve Carell, Kevin Hart, Cameron Seely, Illumination (formerly named Illumination Entertainment) is an American film and animation studio founded by Chris Meledandri in 2007 and owned by Universal Pictures, a division of NBCUniversal, which is itself a division of Comcast. Tim Hill | | Meledandri produces the movies while Universal finances and distributes all the films. | | Stars: Steve Carell, Future projects include Minions: The Rise of Gru set for July 2, 2021 and Sing 2 set for December 22, 2021. 47,735 As of 2019, Illumination has released 10 feature films, which were all distributed by Universal Pictures. | Gross: [26] On November 6, 2018, Illumination announced that the Mario film could be released by 2022. | Scott Mosier In LA, he's taken in by Fred after the out-of-work slacker hits E.B. Pierre Coffin, Votes: | Gross: Pierre Coffin Pharrell Williams, Votes: The Secret Life of Pets was released on July 8, 2016. 91 min Benjamin Bratt, [23][24][25] On January 31, 2018, Nintendo announced during a fiscal meeting that they are partnering with Illumination on a movie starring Mario, which will be co-produced by Chris Meledandri and Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto. Theme park ride at several Universal Studios parks and resorts. $270.40M, PG | Gross: List of Winners of Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, List of the Winners of the Best Picture Academy Award, Ranking List of DC Extended Universe Movies. TV … Sandra Bullock, By 2008, a deal was announced positioning Illumination Entertainment as NBCUniversal's family entertainment arm that would produce one to two films a year starting in 2010. In a city of humanoid animals, a hustling theater impresario's attempt to save his theater with a singing competition becomes grander than he anticipates even as its finalists find that their lives will never be the same. Kristen Wiig, Illumination (formerly named Illumination Entertainment) is an American film and animation studio founded by Chris Meledandri in 2007 and owned by Universal Pictures,[4][5][6] a division of NBCUniversal, which is itself a division of Comcast. 46,200 Stars: E.B., the Easter Bunny's teenage son, heads to Hollywood, determined to become a drummer in a rock 'n' roll band. 209,484 Meledandri left his post as President of 20th Century Fox Animation and Blue Sky Studios in early 2007. $158.87M, See titles to watch instantly, titles you haven't rated, etc, Adoptive Father Adopted Daughter Relationship. | Gross: Director: Local 839, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Illumination_(company)&oldid=987847103, Companies based in Santa Monica, California, Film production companies of the United States, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Not unlike Pixar, in its early days Illumination depended on a core group of directors and writers to create its films. Benedict Cumberbatch, Directors: | [20] The ride officially opened on July 2, 2012 in Orlando, in Hollywood on April 12, 2014, and in Osaka on April 21, 2017. Stars: Miranda Cosgrove, Votes: 494,844 [7] During the summer 2011, Illumination acquired the animation department of the French animation and visual effects studio Mac Guff, which animated Despicable Me and Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, and formed Illumination Mac Guff. At no point will I try to convince you that Illumination is a bad company or that you shouldn’t enjoy their movies. Taylor Swift, Illumination has produced 10 feature films, with its latest release being The Secret Life of Pets 2, with an average gross of $695.4 million per film. Julie Andrews, Votes: The studio's first sequel, Despicable Me 2, opened in the United States on July 3, 2013, earning over $970 million worldwide,[15] becoming the second highest-grossing 2013 animated film and breaking a record as the most profitable Universal Studios film in its 100-year history. When a criminal mastermind uses a trio of orphan girls as pawns for a grand scheme, he finds their love is profoundly changing him for the better. A grumpy Grinch (Benedict Cumberbatch) plots to ruin Christmas for the village of Whoville. Chris Renaud Eric Guillon | | Gross: Stars: 95 min Continuing the story of Max and his pet friends, following their secret lives after their owners leave them for work or school each day. The Minions, characters from the Despicable Me series, are the studio's mascots. $336.05M, PG Danny DeVito, Stars: | [21] After that, release dates have been set aside for three more films whose titles have not been announced: July 1, 2022, December 21, 2022 and June 30, 2023. Animation, Comedy, Family. | Gross: Elizabeth Perkins, [22] Other films the studio has in development include Despicable Me 4 and an animated film based on the Mario franchise as a collaboration with Nintendo. Tell us what you think about this feature. | $368.06M, PG | | Animation, Adventure, Comedy. An adaptation of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, debuted on March 2, 2012, earning $70 million on its opening weekend, and with eventual totals of $214 million in the US market and $348 million worldwide. The studio's highest-grossing films are Minions, which has grossed $1.159 billion worldwide, Despicable Me 3, $1.034 billion and Despicable Me 2, $970.8 million. Garth Jennings, Kyle Balda | [27] Also, Illumination is working with frequent collaborator and musician Pharrell Williams on an original animated film that will be "made from scratch. Steve Carell, While at those companies he supervised or executive-produced movies including Ice Age, Ice Age: The Meltdown, Robots and Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!. Animation, Adventure, Comedy. $214.03M, PG To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world. | After leaving, he founded Illumination Entertainment. The studio's first film, Despicable Me, was released on July 9, 2010 and was commercially successful, earning $56 million on its opening weekend, and going on to ticket sales of $251 million domestically and $543 million worldwide. This is a list of films from Illumination (formerly known as Illumination Entertainment), an American film and animation studio based in Santa Monica, California, United States.As of 2019, Illumination has released 10 feature films, which were all distributed by Universal Pictures.The company released its first feature-length film, Despicable Me, in 2010. | | | Animation, Comedy, Crime. Sing, a comedy written and directed by Garth Jennings, was released on December 21, 2016. Russell Brand, Illumination's second film was the live action/CGI hybrid Hop (2011), which has a $37 million opening, and ended up with $108 million domestically and $183 million worldwide. Reese Witherspoon, Directors: Rashida Jones, | 131,458 The Minions, characters f… Eric Stonestreet, Kevin Hart, [19] It was the first movie for the studio to have a Christmas release. Directors: PG On August 22, 2016, NBCUniversal acquired competing studio DreamWorks Animation, appointing Meledandri to oversee both studios.[12][13][14]. | Gross: $270.62M. Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Stars: Matthew McConaughey, Directors: Jon Hamm, The directors of Despicable Me, Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud, also directed or co-directed Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, Despicable Me 2, Minions, The Secret Life of Pets, and Despicable Me 3. | Gross: Stars: One way the company sustains a lean financial model is by employing cost-conscious animation techniques that lower the expenses and render times of its computer graphics.[11]. Animation, Adventure, Comedy. Louis C.K., Minions Stuart, Kevin, and Bob are recruited by Scarlet Overkill, a supervillain who, alongside her inventor husband Herb, hatches a plot to take over the world. Kyle Balda, When Gru, the world's most super-bad turned super-dad has been recruited by a team of officials to stop lethal muscle and a host of Gru's own, He has to fight back with new gadgetry, cars, and more minion madness. The second film from Illumination based on a Dr. Seuss book, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch, was released on November 9, 2018, and is directed by Scott Mosier and Yarrow Cheney from an adaptation by Michael LeSieur and Tommy Swerdlow. "[27], American animation film production company, Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature, List of Universal Pictures theatrical animated feature films, List of unproduced Universal Pictures animated projects, List of animated feature films of the 2010s, List of highest-grossing animated films of the 2010s, "Illumination's Chris Meledandri Melds Together Cinematic Art and Cutting-Edge Technology", "Illumination Taps Keith Feldman as COO (EXCLUSIVE)", "An Inside Look at Illumination's 24/7 Operation, From L.A. to Paris", "Illumination Chief Chris Meledandri Lines Up Originals for Universal", "Illumination's Chris Meledandri Talks Success Secrets, Rumors He'll Head DreamWorks", "Why Illumination Entertainment Is One Of The Most Innovative Companies Of 2017", "Universal Pictures Buys Paris Animation Unit For Chris Meledandri's Illumination", "ILLUMINATION MAC GUFF (PARIS 15) Chiffre d'affaires, résultat, bilans sur SOCIETE.COM - 533478434", "For Illumination Entertainment, Animation Meets Economic Reality", "Comcast's NBCUniversal buys DreamWorks Animation in $3.8-billion deal", "NBCUniversal Unveils New DreamWorks Annimation Senior Management", "Comcast Completes $3.8 Billion Purchase of DreamWorks Animation", "NBCUniversal CEO: 'Despicable Me 2' Will Be Most Profitable Film in Universal's History", "Sandra Bullock To Voice Super-Villain In 'Minions' Spinoff For Illumination/Universal", "Universal Dates Mystery Illumination Movie for 2015", "Universal Parks announces new 'Despicable Me' ride, and a major face-lift for 'Spider-Man, "Illumination, Universal Add Four More Animated Films to Slate", "Super Mario Movie in the Works From Despicable Me Studio", "Nintendo and Illumination are partnering on a movie starring Mario, co-produced by Shigeru Miyamoto and Chris Meledandri!