The emperor’s emblem could not be feminine (no need to ask). To learn more about adjectives in French, please check out my audio lesson. Many people are confused about that, so it’s okay to use the feminine or masculine form if you talk about the candy. Abandonné will be used if the noun it describes is masculine, but if the noun is feminine you’d say “abandonnée”. Nobody uses 100% of a language. or plural) affect the nouns termination, by appending either a But before you do, here’s how to easily know the gender of French words. Get Started for Free While there is no precise data available, you can consider that you’ll be right 80% of the time if you use this simplified list. We don’t have an equivalent expression in French, but we would say something like “Je suis grande et large”. nouns, i.e. In this case, if you’re talking about a group of nouns and just one person/thing is masculine, the adjective you use to describe the group will be masculine, as well. To make most of these nouns feminine, just add -e to the end: un étudiant (male student) becomes une étudiante (female student). Note that in French, countries, continents, regions and states are either feminine, masculine or plural. In French, all nouns have a gender—they are either masculine or feminine. It’s thought that as time went on and religion became more organized and, in most places, less animistic, gender seemed like a good way to keep nouns organized. We don't mean to say that the 'mère' is "tall", in which case the word "grand" would accord with "mère``. “Réglisse” is feminine or masculine depending on the context. Personally, although the endings method is the one I’ve found the most useful, I’ve always tried to memorize vocabulary with an article, as well. grande (plural grandes) superlative: grandísimo/el mayor, Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary, Almost symbolically, Lopahin still plays the peasant and Lyubov the, A supremely happy family waved goodbye to an elderly, That made eight deaths in a matter of a few days—all of them tied inexplicably to this “, Her silence now had the quality of the comfortable silences between friends, not the half-respectful, half-fearful types of a servant not spoken to by her. to the gender and the number of the subject. It’s not as simply as simply adding an -e. No matter how much research you do or how many linguistics classes you take in college (trust me), you’ll never get a definitive answer to this. be careful, by doing this, you may change the meaning ! I observed that some inanimate french objects that have Pair Properties (double sides) are feminine, while others are masculine. At the cafeteria, Daniel chose an apple, a bowl of soup, and a sandwich. Learn French in context, check out French Today’s downloadable French audiobooks: French Today’s bilingual novels are recorded at different speeds and enunciation, and focus on today’s modern glided pronunciation. If you’re not, try saying or writing the word with its masculine or feminine article a few times. So now just for fun – here is a very famous exercise of pronunciation (called “un virelangue”). : s is pronounced as “sh”, z as “z” – put them together, you obtain sz pronounced as “s” and zs as the first sound in the French word “jurer”, or in “manGer”. Note that these pronouns aren’t just used with people, but with any noun, since they all have genders. In spoken “legume” you’ll know it ends with an “e” because without the “e” you won’t be pronouncing the “m” at all. Have a good time. I just find American English the most difficult: their slang words often confuses me, and I had to ask my friend why it exists, and how the word is used. This page was last edited on 2 November 2020, at 00:40. : Key points: An ongoing dialogue between masculine and feminine dress codes. There is an other kind of words in French which change in accordance For example, older generations may not think men should help with household chores, but many of the younger Frenchmen I know do help with chores, as well as taking care of and spending one-on-one time with their children. One easy way to keep up what you’ve learned about genders in French is to choose a word, guess if it’s masculine or feminine, then look it up online or in a print dictionary to check if you’re right. This is an exception to the rule. I was used to spend time with a Japanese friend and he explained me some issue about his language, he said also the way his father was used to speak was comprehensible to him up to 80% because his father (and his generation) have a slight different construction of the phrase compared to that of my friend’s generation. No, actually it’s masculine. grande m or f (plural grandes, comparable). truck). It sometimes use “he” or “she” instead of “it”. So, une voile is a sail and un voile is a veil. Most of the animals, The feminine form is “grasse”(ends on a final S sound). But which do I use bavard (masculine) or bavarde (feminine)? 2.5 hours recorded at 3 different speeds. No matter how you feel about gender equality, that has to make you feel good for future learners of French! He was not served with notice because he is presently abroad.? For example the administration doesn’t use the word “mademoiselle” anymore. I couldn’t seem to find it in the common endings part. Your site is very useful. Powerful as most of the weapons knife, sword, gun, canon, missile, rocket, You use the masculine form if there is at least one man in the group. I just printed it so I can keep on my desk for noticing the words’ gender and also to be reviewed from time to time. Here are the most important grammatical elements in French that change based on genders. You may also want to check if it belongs on the list of typically masculine or feminine word endings. In the case of grand-mere, grand is part of the noun, not an adjective, which is why it stays as it is, and does not add an 'e'. “Gender” is still the term used for this kind of classification, though. As a French high school teacher, I teach my students the above simple rule, and they know this is a “high percentage” guess — (high likelihood of being correct) — to use if they aren’t sure of the gender of a new noun. Great post by the way! For Example. -œur: la sœur, la mœur (but le cœur); Why do some languages have gendered nouns, while others don’t? That's it to the best of my knowledge anyway, EDIT - Sorry we just did it today in French, its just an exception to the rule, like in general it would add an 'e' but grand-mere is an exception to the rule. Isn’t it?! What you need to know is that the word has a gender, not the concept it represents. Finally, of course “gros” in French doesn’t mean “gross” in English: use “dégoûtant” (disgusting). But with genders attributed to words in a way that seems completely arbitrary, how can you ever learn the genders of every French noun? Cléa, Hélène, Rose, and Paul like movies. Ecole is a feminine word, yet you say: Hi This Really Helped Me And I Had A Test And I Scored Highest In Class! And remember the French rule of masculine words always having dominance over feminine ones. Actually I’ve learned a few languages now – Dutch, Welsh, BSL and French and I find it funny that it’s mainly English that causes the problems because pretty much all these other languages all have feminine and masculine words, and since moving to Shropshire ‘cos we’re so close to the Welsh border here I find some people round here even refer to inanimate objects as “he” or “she” (like when we had the chimney swept the guy came round and said “she’s a good fire, she is” not “you’ve got a good fire there” or “its a good fire”, which I guess comes from the direct Welsh translation ‘cos in Welsh everything is either masculine or feminine too, there is no it (there is no direct yes or no either in Welsh which is even more confusing at least in French you have oui or non!). the belief under I operate —> the belief I operate under You can actually know the gender of a French noun with more than 80% accuracy just by looking at its ending. Plural is more important! French adjectives change based on the gender and number of the noun they modify. All such instances will occur when grand is before the noun, in a compound. C’est un vrai cadeau. In French all nouns have a gender, either masculine or feminine. The method that’s been shown to be the most effective is…. except endings : Learn more in the Cambridge French-English Dictionary. I can’t confirm you that 90% of nouns do end with a vowel, because I would need to check out the entire dictionary, but it’s clear that there are lots of ways to determine the gender of French nouns, and the vowel rule may be one of them. You can sign in to vote the answer. As I said in the article, this list is simply here for reference, I absolutely don’t recommend to learn it by heart.