5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. I. Again he speaks of "tasting that the …John Henry Newman—Parochial and Plain Sermons, Vol. --ISAIAH liii, 2, 3. and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. VII, The Crucifixion. 1 Who hath believed our report? To hold fast the fulfilment of this prophecy of the Suffering Servant in Jesus it is not necessary to deny its reference to Israel. --Isaiah liii. --Isaiah liii. 'Therefore will I divide Him a portion with the great, and He shall divide the spoil with the strong; because He hath poured out His soul unto death: and was numbered with the transgressors; and He bare the sins of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.' “He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.” "He hath no form nor, "He was oppressed, and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth; He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so He openeth not His mouth." 'For He grew up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him. He beheld a stupendous range of glorious sun-lit mountains, with their lower slopes enfolded in white mist. Our Price: $12.59. If we do not read of any actual disease in the Gospel, we at least have evidence of an organisation every nerve of which thrilled with its sensitiveness to pain, and was quickly exhausted (Luke 8:46; John 4:6; Mark 4:36). Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed. 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. VII, Of Justification by ChristIt has been objected by some, who dissent from, nay, I may add, by others also, who actually are friends to the present ecclesiastical establishment, that the ministers of the Church of England preach themselves, and not Christ Jesus the Lord; that they entertain their people with lectures of mere morality, without declaring to them the glad tidings of salvation by Jesus Christ. In trying now to expound the doctrine of Christ's being an offering for sin, we will begin …Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 10: 1864, Sin Laid on JesusI hear no dolorous wailings attending this confession of sin; for the next sentence makes it almost a song. I. KJV, Deluxe Reference Bible, Super Giant Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, The King James Study Bible, Red Letter, Full-Color Edition: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, Baby's First Bible, Hardcover, Multicolor: A special keepsake for your new arrival, KJV, Journal the Word Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition: Reflect, Journal, or Create Art Next to Your Favorite Verses, KJV Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Second Edition, KJV, Value Thinline Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, King James Version. Again he speaks of "tasting that the. As he looked …John Henry Jowett—My Daily Meditation for the Circling Year, Religion a Weariness to the Natural Man. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. Had we been informed of the interview only, we should probably have desired to know the subject of their conversation, as we might reasonably suppose it turned upon very interesting and important …John Newton—Messiah Vol. Rediscover God's grace in a time of lingering chaos and uncertainty. (Comp. May we put our hand upon the head of Christ Jesus; as we see him offered up upon the cross for guilty men, may we know that our sins are transferred to him, and may we be able to cry, in the ecstasy of faith, "Great God, I am clean; through Jesus' blood I am clean." How well grounded such an objection may be, is not my business to inquire: All I shall say at present to the point is, …George Whitefield—Selected Sermons of George Whitefield, ExpiationNow, Jesus Christ has been made by God an offering for sin; and oh that to-night we may be able to do in reality what the Jew did in metaphor! Matthew 27:9,10 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value; …. To hold fast the fulfilment of this prophecy of the Suffering Servant in … The Savior bruised is the healing of bruised hearts. 12. 7. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. W hen our Lord was transfigured, Moses and Elijah appeared in glory and conversed with Him. Devotions From Time Of Grace. 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. As he looked, My Daily Meditation for the Circling Year, "He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him." --ISAIAH liii, 2, 3. And down there he found himself surrounded with all manner of fierce, ugly, loathsome things. And when God gave the blessing, He at the same time foretold that such would be the judgment of the world upon it, even as manifested in the gracious Person of Him whom He sent to give it to us. How well grounded such an objection may be, is not my business to inquire: All I shall say at present to the point is, Now, Jesus Christ has been made by God an offering for sin; and oh that to-night we may be able to do in reality what the Jew did in metaphor! Deuteronomy 32:15 But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. It is at that darkest moment where the once close to you turn their backs on you. 2. W hen our Lord was transfigured, Moses and Elijah appeared in glory and conversed with Him. Exodus 3:7; Lamentations 1:12; Lamentations 1:18.) (e) Which was by God's singular providence for the comfort of sinners, He 4:15.Isaiah 53:3 Parallel Commentaries, The Suffering Servant --vi'Therefore will I divide Him a portion with the great, and He shall divide the spoil with the strong; because He hath poured out His soul unto death: and was numbered with the transgressors; and He bare the sins of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.' He was despised as one from whom men hide their face; and we didn't respect him.- World English BibleHe is despised, and left of men, A man of pains, and acquainted with sickness, And as one hiding the face from us, He is despised, and we esteemed him not.- Youngs Literal Bible He was despised, and forsaken of men, a man of pains, and acquainted with disease, and as one from whom men hide their face: he was despised, and we esteemed him not.- Jewish Publication Society Bible. Bible Gateway Recommends. as an hiding of faces from him, or, from us. Strange is it that where misery was concentrated mercy reigned, and where sorrow reached her climax there it is that a weary soul finds sweetest rest. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. He is despised and reiected of men, a man ofsorrows, and acquainted with griefe: and we hid as it were our faces from him; hee was despised, and wee esteemed him not.- King James Version (1611) - View 1611 Bible ScanHe was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.- New American Standard Version (1995)He was despised, and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and as one from whom men hide their face he was despised; and we esteemed him not.- American Standard Version (1901)Men made sport of him, turning away from him; he was a man of sorrows, marked by disease; and like one from whom men's faces are turned away, he was looked down on, and we put no value on him.- Basic English BibleHe is despised and left alone of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief, and like one from whom [men] hide their faces; -- despised, and we esteemed him not.- Darby BibleHe is despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.