This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages. Click here to opt-out of Google Analytics. Make sure your tin is well greased with oil or butter. Lightly oil two large bowls Divide the dough in half and place each half in a bowl; turn to coat with oil. Stir in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Measure the butter, then melt it in your microwave, before adding it to your flour. Regarding your note about spoons…All spoon measurements are level unless stated otherwise, and juts to clarify, Delia’s tablespoon measurement is 20ml, the dessert spoon 10ml and the teaspoon 5ml. Congrats! Brown bread has certain connotations. amazing bread great for sandwiches and toast sometimes i make 5 loaves and turn the final amount of dough into basic cinanmon rolls. 300ml (1 1/3 cups) warm water. i liked the use of 4 cups of water it made it very easy to stir in the flour a cup at a time i blended everything until the blender wouldn't work it (about 6 or 8 cups of flour) and then started doing it by hand made for very smooth dough. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. I made three large loaves and 6 mini loaves for those times when a tiny sandwich is just right:). To finish off the bread, begin by preheating the oven grill for some 10 minutes until it is red hot. I think baking bread is my kids favourite things to do!

Wash and dry your hands, then sprinkle the dough with a little more flour and continue to knead for a further 10 minutes until it is very pliable, smooth and slightly shiny – slightly sticky, as above. We use cookies on this site and by continuing to browse it you agree to sending us your cookies. Once you’ve done this shape the dough into a round ball. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Measuring spoons Once the bread has begun to brown nicely, take it out the oven, remove it from the tin and place back on the baking tray to bake for another 15–20 minutes.

Once rested, turn the dough out on to a very lightly floured surface and shape into your desired shape – here I've shaped it for a tin.

If you’ve never baked bread before you should be pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is. Thanks!

We then turned the dough round, trying to smooth the top by tucking the ends under.

i substituted a whole cup of sugar for the 3/4 cups a stick of butter for the shortning and poured in a little bit of corn oil. Mary describes her cooking style as 'family' - practical, healthy recipes that use a little less animal fat and incorporate lots of fresh ingredients. Hi! Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping us to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful. Win one of 3 Maple ingredient boxes plus a copy of Cooking with Maple, naturally. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. 4. Great tips here! 1. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again. Hi, as a beginner to bread making I’m going to give this one a go. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Thanks for linking up to #cookblogshare. As we know, bread is traditionally kneaded to form gluten. i used two packs of dry yeast in water with a teaspoon of sugar to get it all started. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. It’s a time consuming process meaning although it doesn’t take a lot of time to do all the steps in the recipe it will take a few hours to make.

We rely on advertising to help fund our award-winning journalism.

So does ‘not as good as white bread’. Prove in the tin for a final hour, or until doubled in size again. Time taken all together: 3½ - 4 hours. Drizzle with half the maple syrup. Required fields are marked *. I’ll start using our mixer so it can do most of the hard work and then let the kids finish kneading the bread by hand.

I love a basic white bread recipe – there’s nothing better than the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven. Put the flour into a large bowl or a kitchen mixer with a dough hook, add the sugar and salt and mix to combine. Try this simple step-by-step brown bread recipe to make a seeded loaf or try one of three gorgeous variations ... A traditional Irish loaf that uses bicarbonate of soda instead of yeast - this version is sweetly spiced with fruit and oats 1 hr and 5 mins . It’s worth it though and my kids were fascinated by the growing bread dough during the proving process. 1 tsp salt

And it’s nice to bake something with kids that doesn’t involve things like sugar or butter. The bakery has given me fresh yeast to use.

Digital scales Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Knead for one minute then divide into 30-35 small, equal-sized balls. Then simply defrost, heat and rub butter over top for a 'fresh out of the oven' taste. 1. We sometimes use our mixer to make the kneading process a bit quicker but always give my kids the chance to at least do some of the kneading by hand.

I love it! Turn the bowl a quarter turn, and repeat until you have removed all of the air and it is at least a little smoother. We did this by flattening it into a rectangle then folding the ends under. Turn on to a lightly floured work surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Ps. Mary Berry trained at The Cordon Bleu in Paris and Bath School of Home Economics.