My wife has stayed at the Menger on several occasions while on business, but this was my first experience. Today, Sallie apparently continues to perform her duties within the Victorian wing of the hotel.

One of the Menger Hotel Bar’s most famous ghostly guest is the spirit of former President Theodore Roosevelt (dressed in his old military uniform). With the Menger’s location, adjacent to the Alamo, and RiverCenter Mall, it’s ideally located for both historic and modern amenities that San Antonio has to offer. I thought it odd that there was not even room for a towel rack. It is a member of Historic Hotels of America, an official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Keep up the good work! FrightFind brings you closer to the paranormal by finding and reviewing the scariest haunted houses, fear attractions and haunted hotels near you. The entity demands to know; “Are you gonna stay or are you gonna go?” three times before vanishing.

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Docia Schultz Williams seems like a nice lady. It was here at the Menger, at the Menger Bar, where he would convince unsuspecting cowboys to join his detachment of Rough Riders over a free drink (or a few!). He would often stay at the hotel during his lifetime, as he had his own personal suite. If you are a fan of history and culture, the Menger Hotel is ideally located for visits to San Antonio Museum of Art, the Witte Museum, El Mercado, Museo Alameda, Lila Cockrell Theatre, Majestic Theatre, Buckhorn Museum, and numerous Spanish missions. As for, intelligent hauntings, it is said that the keys to the liquor cabinets have been known to vanish from sight (perhaps the work of a prohibitionist ghost). Theodore Roosevelt first visited the Menger in 1892 on a javelina hunt; he returned to recruit his Rough Riders at the hotel in 1898; and in 1905 he was back for a banquet. It declined during the Great Depression but was renovated in the 1940s.

Taxes and fees that are shown are estimates only.

Reviewed in the United States on February 14, 2019, Reviewed in the United States on October 29, 2018.

Reviewed in the United States on May 7, 2019. Another apparition that as been witnessed in the hotel is that of Captain Richard King. Guests looking for a scare will certainly not be disappointed. Upon entering the establishment, eerie feelings are almost certain, ghostly sightings are always a possibility and if you’re lucky, you might even see the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt. In 1976, the Menger was included in the National Register of Historic Places, as part of the Alamo Plaza Historic District. All right reserved.

While the living identity of many of the Menger ghosts is unknown, a consequence of its nearness to the devastation at the Battle of the Alamo just a few yards away, The Menger ghosts have a few famous haunts on their roster. It was praised for the cuisine offered in the Colonial Dining Room, which included such specialties as wild game, mango ice cream, and snapper soup made from turtles caught in the San Antonio River. By 1951, the hotel had been completely renovated and modernized. I'm a history buff and enjoy most all things Victorian, so I was in my element here.We were here the weekend following Thanksgiving and came down for the riverwalk float parade. There was a problem loading your book clubs. By 1951 a new wing had been added, and the building had been completely modernized. The next day her husband threatened to kill her and sometime later, on March 28, 1876, he attacked her inside the hotel. She was a chambermaid at the hotel during Victorian times who, after during her work shift, was attacked by her husband.

In 1976, the Menger was included in the National Register of Historic Places, as part of the Alamo Plaza Historic District. Display cases and photographs on the walls of the first floor lobbies provide a glimpse into the Menger’s colorful past. I had a chance to visit the property and enjoy the amazing bar after reading about those who had been there before me, and it was very cool! You may see Sallie during the night on the way back to your room, in her Victorian maid outfit, carrying a handful of towels for guests. This is just a fraction of the reports that have occurred here, although all are seemingly friendly, with the only terrifying aspect of them being their sudden appearance, startling guests and staff alike. Suffering from severe injuries, she tragically lost her life days later.

Legends, Ghosts, Myths and Mysteries Main Page. © 2019 FrightFind, All Rights Reserved.

With this comes some creakiness, and quaintness, but with this in mind when deciding to stay there it is a welcome feeling. It rose to prominence as the best hotel in the South West, after the Civil War had ended and various additions were made, as well as the new railroad that arrived in 1871. Constructed 23 years after the fall of the Alamo, San Antonio’s Menger Hotel is and has been since 1859, The Grande Dame of Alamo Plaza.

Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.

© 2020 Ghost City®, Ghost City Tours®. Adjacent to the Alamo, some of these ghostly visitors to the hotel are attributed to the many that died during the Battle of the Alamo. Required fields are marked *.

At the time Childers was an insurance agent, and visiting San Antonio from Austin. Many of them have persisted through remodeling and have taken to drifting through walls where doors used to be, much to the dismay of unassuming guests. Hot water in the shower had to be on hot only to get a warm shower, mildew stains on the ceiling and caulking. Our group booked a luncheon during our reunion.... it was a Gone with the Wind Scarlet O'hara experience........ truly elegant. Located adjacent to the Alamo, the handsome Menger Hotel has played a central part in the history of San Antonio for over 150 years. Apparently a spirit was jealous, when a waitress favored conversation with a living person over it’s own spectral form (“I will not be ignored, Dan!” Well, I guess in this case it should be Danielle). Originally built in 1858 next door to William Menger’s brewery, the hotel’s long and occasionally bloody history has left at least 32 distinct ghosts living within its walls. He would later die at the hospital.

The Menger Hotel has been recognized by the state of Texas and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. On April 15, 1885, King’s funeral was held in the Menger’s parlor.