Add the next half tier. Sift in confectioners sugar. Have you Tried this Recipe? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This blog is where I share all of my kitchen creations! Allow time to cool for 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool fully. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, hot chocolate mix, cinnamon, chili powder, and sugar. Make sure the oven rack is placed in the middle of the oven and then pour the batter into the prepared pan. Thanks for stopping by! Everything from recipes, cookbooks, restaurants, to kitchen gadgets. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl until it's fully combined. Pipe chocolate buttercream and smooth. Use a Moka pot so it's basically espresso. Spoon more ganache on top of the cake and smooth to make an even layer. https://www.craftycookingmama.com/mexican-chocolate-cake-ganache As if a taco bar isn’t enough, I also plan on making a cake for dessert because. Learn how your comment data is processed. Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcake It is sound crazy when we think it will not actually contain any chocolate, but if you think about what exactly that makeup is “chocolate,” then, it makes a perfect sense. Add confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time, until it's creamy and spreadable. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. I got to thinking how bomb would it be to make this a cake recipe. This post may contain affiliate links. So for those not in the know Mexican hot chocolate has a dash of cinnamon and is sweeter than regular hot chocolate. Do this until the pattern covers the middle layer completely. Pipe chocolate layer and smooth. This recipe will make enough for three nine inch pans by the way. I actually did 1 1/2 and it was perfect! Pipe chocolate buttercream and smooth. Hi – I need to make a 2 10 inch cakes – how many cups of batter does this make. Perfect for people who don’t love overly sweet treats. Mix until fluffy and combined. My name is Amy and I'm a California native, who is looking for a way to share my love of all things food! Speaking of chocolate the exterior frosting is so good. Repeat the same strategy but from opposite directions. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched in the center, and the cake just begins to pull away from the edge of the pan. The filling is a creamy vanilla buttercream with a touch of cinnamon and cayenne too. Sea salt, cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper come together for a heavenly finish. Lightly grease three 8" round pans, and dust them with cocoa powder. Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, hot chocolate mix, cinnamon, chili powder, and sugar. My Mexican hot chocolate cake has cinnamon allspice and more than a touch of cayenne pepper for an extra kick. Sign up to receive recipes, recommendations and tips straight to your inbox! So, I used the same ideas and altered the King Arthur Flour’s recipe for a rich chocolate cake to taste more like the drink. You can use a gluten free flour instead! Add the butter and mix at low speed for 1 minute. Using a lightly greased offset spatula or the back of a spoon, carefully smooth the frosting on top of the cake. In a small saucepan set over low heat, bring the milk and ancho chili to a low simmer for 5 minutes. I use a nice quality fudge sauce! Melt white chocolate and transfer to a piping bag. To me, it sorta has like a chai spice/churro/chocolate cake vibe. Enjoy! If you’ve never had Mexican Hot Chocolate, you should definitely give it a try! However, my plan for tomorrow is for the four of us to spend the day cleaning the house and trying to get our garage back in order. So unique – I’ll definitely be giving it a try over Christmas. Katherine Hysmith of the Young Austinian shares her cake version of a Texas Christmas tradition: a lightly spiced cake based on her family's holiday table hot chocolate. Using a cupcake stand, pipe spicy buttercream between layers. Tag me Today! Sift together the dry ingredients and spices into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine. Let it cool until warm. I would double the recipe and use the extra batter for cupcakes! Please read our disclosure policy. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pipe chocolate buttercream on the outside and smooth. Distribute batter evenly to the three pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake sit at least 30 minutes before slicing. Snip off the tip. Keep checking back for new posts on all my favorites! King Arthur Baking Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Your email address will not be published. I didn’t do this and it was difficult…. I recommend rotating the pans halfway through the bake. But, can we all just agree that the weekend can’t come soon enough? Since we have a taco dinner happening, making a Mexican Hot Chocolate cake seems like the right thing to do. Pipe a layer of spicy buttercream, then add the other half. Every bite is rich in chocolate, leaving lasting hints of cayenne pepper, cinnamon and vanilla. When cool, discard the chili. Moving the tool the other way to create an opposing pattern. With the mixer running, add the oil and continue to mix until the mixture looks like sand. In Mexico, hot chocolate is most often prepared with tablets of rustic chocolate de mesa, “table chocolate,” which can be easily found in the U.S. at Mexican grocery stores and even large supermarkets. Whisk to combine until a smooth and shiny ganache forms. For the chevron pattern in the middle I melted some white chocolate and mixed in a bit of cinnamon and cayenne then piped it in horizontal bands on the side and a swirl on top. Thanks! Fill the ring with more frosting. Melt white chocolate and transfer to a piping bag. Place first half on cake stand. While the cake is baking, place the butter, cinnamon, heavy cream, and vanilla in a large bowl and whip until smooth and creamy. Repeat the same strategy but from opposite directions. Personally, I don’t need the temptations in my house.