Me and my sister are sort of moving out to college and my mother is … Your therapist can help you cope with loneliness and develop the confidence to build your social network or start back dating. It’s a normal feeling—and there is a common name for it: empty nest syndrome. You might say something like, “The kids are all out of the house and I think it's time I start back dating. This is causing a strain between him and his fiance. (And How to Fix It), Why You’re Feeling Empty and How to Fill the Void, Feeling Defeated in Life? How to Manage Single Parenting Positively, The 5 Most Important Things in Life You’ll Regret Not Pursuing, Why Does Life Suck So Bad Sometimes? This article was co-authored by Paul Chernyak, LPC. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 5,460 times. "This article helps me because it's where I'm at in my life, and knowing I'm not alone has helped me.". Be sure to follow safe and appropriate online etiquette. If you're involved with a church or other religious institution, they may have groups for single or divorced people to get to know each other. Pakistan Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology. Be a person whose only function in life has been to take care of your child. Chat with a few friends or family members whose judgment you trust. Currently, it is less common to reside near your parents. Let your main values ​​in life be the family or the care of your child. % of people told us that this article helped them. Maybe the advice I have given you is not enough to overcome the problem you are going through. In many cases parents return to live as a couple after decades of family life, which can lead to problems of a couple that had not yet  arisen because the family care center was the son. Can People Change When Changing Is So Difficult? How many years have you been living with your child? You could also try texting him so it doesn't take up as much of his time and he can respond whenever he gets the chance. The kids are headed off to college or moving on to lives as independent adults. In order to overcome this difficult moment I advise you to lean on your family and friends, that is, on those people with whom you feel comfortable and  willing to listen to how you feel. Oh how time has flown. There are 10 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. It is also very normal for you to develop: In this context it is normal that you have a continued concern for how your child will be, that you hope that he will return, that you complain about the  situation and that you feel disappointed and abandoned because he has left. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Do some on-the-job training to enhance your knowledge of your given career path.