[6], As a result of their success, the women formed the non-profit Boston Women's Health Book Collective (which now goes by the name Our Bodies Ourselves) and published the first 276-page Our Bodies, Ourselves in 1973. She shared this book with me. This was a bit radical at the time it came out. Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article. But after nearly 50 years, Our Bodies Ourselves, the Boston nonprofit home of the book, will stop publishing the pubescent tome amid a period of “transition.” The book, last updated in 2011, will no longer have new editions. HB5 Hormonal Harmony:Does This Product is Really Work... http://helix6garciniareview.com/parisian-glow/, http://helix6garciniareview.com/reaction-male-enhancement/, http://www.healthytalkzone.com/max-testo-xl/, http://helix6garciniareview.com/rejuvonus-fr/, About Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Books by Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Contemporary Romance Rewrites 'Pride and Prejudice' with an Astrological Twist. It was amazing!!! About Our Bodies Ourselves. Our Bodies, Ourselves is a book about women's health and sexuality produced by the nonprofit organization Our Bodies Ourselves (originally called the Boston Women's Health Book Collective). [14][15], The first book was a product of the feminist movement and could still be said to reflect its values. It covers everything you can think of and does it with a strong feminist/pro-woman stance (including a refreshing take on birth control that points out that the Pill and other forms of hormonal birth control are NOT for everyone, which you don't often hear). Back then, the authors' provided current factual information on a range of women's health topics that was not readily available from "mom" or older sisters. The book emphasizes empowerment through information and learning, specifically, information gained through women sharing their personal narratives with each other because "by sharing our responses we can develop a base on which to be critical of what the experts tell us."[7]. (You weren’t, Page 162 assured.). Twelve women all between the ages of 23 to 39 first attended a workshop entitled "Women and Their Bodies" which allowed the women to discuss together the issues they had surrounding their health. To supplement scant or unavailable information about women’s health and medical issues, the group began writing articles on topics such as sexuality, birth control, abortion, pregnancy, and menopause, incorporating personal experiences with their research findings. ), Most of what “repro rights” covers is available in the pages of “Our Bodies, Ourselves,” but the rite of passage of a mother handing over a women’s health bible to her daughter has become less common. Another book that faced being banned in the United States this year, 2017. “Our Bodies, Ourselves” has “always been a labor of love,” Ms. Childers said, but perhaps that’s part of the problem. It was a groundbreaking publication in its expressed goal of dispelling widespread ignorance about the female body and women’s health issues. Wells, Susan. And yes, even though my parents were educational, upfront and honest with me about not only the human body, but also "how babies are made", and sexuality, I still would look at this book. YES! Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause was published in 2006,[11] and Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth in 2008. As feminism becomes more and more culturally powerful, guiding voices with experience will be more important ever. This book was nearly shocking in its day. The strategy of the reproductive justice plank was to establish the necessary rights and access for women to gain control over their bodies. Fascinating how it has changed from then to now. [8] It has been considered one of the founding events of the women's health movement in the United States. No wait, perdóname...shame on them!! Our Bodies, Ourselves was one of the 88 books chosen by the U.S. Library of Congress for its 2012 exhibition “Books That Shaped America.”. I know when the time comes, I’d prefer to hand my daughter a book with dogeared pages and underlined passages rather than texting her a link. Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this Our Vampires, Ourselves study guide and get instant access to the following:.