It is the best cookbook I own and I probably have about 80! The result is a remarkable collection of emphatic culinary opinions, several hundred of which are disguised as recipes: the merits of some soft cheeses over others, the precise way to dress a salad, the nonnegotiable importance of salting raw beef and fowl a day or more before it’s cooked. Standouts include How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, a slew of titles from the gang at America's Test Kitchen, and Julia Child's The Way to Cook. It's impressive for a dinner party (and it's even better if you make it in advance) but cozy enough for an evening for two.—Rhoda Boone, Food Editor, All roast chickens are not created equal. Accordingly, countless celebrity-chef cookbooks consist of little more than dinner-party recipes sprinkled with pleasantly superficial biography. Other times, by design, it is absolutely impossible, outlining finicky and complex recipes that are best suited for a brigade of swaggering line cooks. I've tried a few of their recipes and it's interesting to know the processes they use, but the end results have only been good, not great. It’s a list that’s shaped by the particulars of how I eat, how I cook, and how I read, and its ten volumes—which include a profanity-filled restaurant scrapbook, a historiological cookbook of cookbooks, and a multi-thousand-page set of culinary lab notes—may not be the same that populate the Top Ten of any other cook. But “The River Cottage Cookbook” ’s ideas (and straightforward, elegant recipes) remain striking reminders that what we eat isn’t just food on a plate but part of a thrilling natural cycle, our human lives brushing up against countless others, plant and animal alike. They’re certainly not supposed to do what “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat” does: just flat-out teach you, from the ground up, how to be a good cook. ", "This is a reference book everyone should have. It was Hazan who introduced Americans to the idea of pairing pasta shape with sauces, encouraged using seasonal produce in Italian cooking, and started the craze for balsamic vinegar. Dō icon Kristen Tomlan drops her first cookbook this fall, and let me tell you, it is fulled with as many fantastical, colorful, and sugary cookie-centric delights as you'd think. All of the people who have contributed to community cookbooks over the years certainly did. How I was mistaken: The short list of pantry ingredients bubble and marry together, resulting in a dead simple sauce that tastes like it took all day to make. Would you like to? Lewis was also an excellent baker. The recipes are not complex, but they are authentic: a launchpad to master before you head into further exploration, more complicated techniques, and harder-to-find ingredients. "Stop, think, there must be a harder way." This book will definitely get you thinking outside the box when it comes to your next baking project and covers everything from brownies and cookies to tarts and confections. Founded in 1980, Cook’s Illustrated is renowned for its near-obsessive dedication to finding the best methods of American home cooking. To discover which baking tomes we should have on our shelves, we asked some of our favorite foodies—including Tieghan Gerard of Half Baked Harvest, Adrianna Adarme of A Cozy Kitchen, Naomi Robinson of Baker's Royale, and more—to weigh in on the best baking cookbooks that everyone should own. “The Jemima Code” is a chronicle of her learning, an annotated catalogue of some hundred and sixty volumes, many from Tipton-Martin’s own library, spanning from the days of slavery to just a few years ago. Yes, it's fussy. It illuminates. Be. That’s why we test recipes over and over again (in some cases, more than 50 times)—so you don’t have to. Yes, it's nearly five pages long. Speaking of Julia Child, for our baking pick we turned to her former collaborator Dorie Greenspan. Suddenly, American home cooks were sprinkling fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds on their food with abandon, and you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a restaurant that served shakshuka, an egg dish featured in multiple Ottolenghi cookbooks. And yet when the Israel-born London chef's cookbook Plenty showed up stateside, it was a sensation. In other words, Rodgers wanted people to constantly consider how they could improve their cooking. PRE-ORDER NOW The Easy College Cookbook: 75 Quick, Affordable Recipes for Campus Life, amazon.com. But go bonkers they did. It contains recipes for charmingly old-fashioned things like "Bridge Creek Heavenly Hots." There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. That recipe alone would land this book on any list of the great and essential, but the rest of the volume has a magic, as well. As a home cook, I look for recipes that will be successful even if I change them up a bit; that's not been my experience with this book. ricotta. “Baking: From My Home to Yours,” by Dorie Greenspan (2006). Don't ask me to explain why, but the yeast doesn't just make these airy and light—it makes them impossibly crispy. This book is like the baking bible, with step-by-step photos and easy to follow directions for some of the most delicious breads. that's proved me wrong, twice. All rights reserved. Simply use the recipe filter on the left to find it. ", "I love Alternative Baker because I do a lot of entertaining and often find myself needing to accommodate a variety of dietary restrictions. Ah, Mark Bittman. With her as a guide, there is no room for self-destructive improvisation: her stylish, rigorous, cheerful recipes work because she tells her reader exactly how to make them work, anticipating our errors and our questions, building contingencies, alternatives, and solutions right into the text, and evincing a soothing flexibility. Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza [A Cookbook] Ken Forkish. This book is loaded with step-by-step photos, so you’ll be busting out buttercream flowers in no time. This is her latest tome and it includes all of her signature beautiful photography, impeccable recipe writing, and drool-worthy flavor combinations. And then there's the tomato sauce. It’s messy, it's time consuming, and with lots of easy access to expertly-made bread, I saw no reason to bother with it. However, whipping up said shatteringly flakey pastry or wonderfully moist cake at home is a difficult endeavor for an amateur baker. My absolute favorite recipe (if I had to pick one) would be the White Bread with Poolish: gorgeous open crumb, delicious developed flavor and a cinch to make. Boy, have I got a book for you! America s Test Kitchen; 2nd edition (October 15, 2004), Reviewed in the United States on June 30, 2019. The book goes both deep (into Solomonov’s own life story, which is marked by great loss) and broad (addressing the cultural and political complexities of considering Israel as a culinary entity). BUY IT: The Taste of Country Cooking, $20 on Amazon, Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London's Ottolenghi. © 2020 Condé Nast. We also wanted to include a book with show-off recipes. It’s also a patient and encouraging guide to Solomonov’s dazzling recipes, worth the price of entry for almost any single chapter alone, especially those covering Solomonov’s magnificent salatim (dips, salads, and other small vegetable plates) and his approach to open-fire grilling. “The River Cottage Cookbook,” by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (2001). This 2006 publication is an updated version of the Rombauer family-approved 1975 edition—it preserves a lot of the voice that was lost in the 1997 edition. The editors of Cook’s Illustrated are also the authors of a best selling series of cookbooks (The Best Recipe Series) as well as a series of companion books to the America’s Test Kitchen public television show (which reaches 2.4 million viewers per episode). BUY NOW Cake Confidence: Sure-Fire Recipes & Tips for Over-the-Top Gorgeous Cakes, amazon.com. BUY IT: Mexico One Plate at a Time, $20 on Amazon. (Myhrvold, a technologist and former Microsoft C.T.O., has a habit of professionalizing his extracurricular interests.) What once were primarily vehicles for recipes became anything but: the recipes still mattered, but now they existed in service of something more—a mood, a place, a technique, a voice. In fact, as the rest of the book industry found itself in a post-millennial free fall, cookbooks were selling better than ever. These are books that have either stood the test of time or are indispensable for a modern home cook. Of course, if you prefer a family heirloom edition with your grandmother's handwritten notes, who are we to argue? "If you love New York City's popular Milk Bar bakery, then you need this cookbook.