It provided him with a vantage point to punch at American adversaries, including Iran and the Islamic State, and to praise one of President Trump’s few foreign policy achievements that has received wide and bipartisan support: the normalization of diplomatic relations between Israel and the United Arab Emirates. “Once again, the rules go out the window for Secretary Pompeo when they get in the way of serving his political interests and Donald Trump," Engel said in a statement. The speech will not delve into Pompeo’s own activities as secretary of state, the person said. WASHINGTON — In addressing the Republican Party faithful on Tuesday night from one of the world’s holiest cities, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is betting that he has more to gain politically than he would lose by challenging decades of diplomatic decorum. "I worked for nine secretaries of state, all of them stayed away from political conventions, all of them stayed away from speaking in a partisan voice during an election campaign," said Burns, who is now advising Joe Biden's presidential campaign. Show full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. A collection of moments during and after Barack Obama's presidency. Yet his words struck a conspicuously political tone.

Michael R. Pompeo November 3, 2020. It’s probably for both.”. "If the president uses the language of 'America First,' if we get it right here, it will absolutely benefit you all.".

He said Mr. Pompeo’s decision to deliver the speech — and the appearance of impropriety associated with it — could pose a problem with centrist Republicans. Wisconsin Speech Leads to New Scrutiny of Pompeo’s Political Agenda A speech to lawmakers in Madison has prompted new concern among … “By speaking in Jerusalem, he is speaking to the evangelical segment of the Republican Party,” said Tamara Cofman Wittes, a former deputy assistant secretary of state for Middle East policy during the Obama administration who is now at the Brookings Institution in Washington. National Day of the Federated States of Micronesia Michael R. Pompeo November 2, 2020. "Know that President Trump and I, when we travel the world, are engaged in these important, complex issues around the world," Pompeo said. “I think most Americans care about not breaking the law, and it will be a negative for him,” Mr. Stevens said.

I can’t imagine it’s not in the back of his mind.”, Pompeo Delivers R.N.C.

Known as an ALDAC, short for the distribution list to “ALL DIPLOMATIC AND CONSULAR” posts, the cable was sent over Pompeo's signature as are all such messages from State Department headquarters. Though Pompeo made a series of assertions – including repeating an unspecified claim that Beijing's operatives have infiltrated parent-teacher association meetings – little of his speech pertained specifically to state lawmakers in Madison.