you’ve already paid $300 for. Take a look at the image below to see some of the designs. Receive mail from us on behalf of our trusted partners or sponsors? However, for some people, that just isn't a big deal. The improvements on the non-essential face buttons are also welcome and something I hope Nintendo considers for future Pro Controller revisions. This means the Pro Controller is pleasingly dense, if not quite as rock-solid as the 12.3-ounce, $150 Xbox Elite Wireless Controller ($299.95 at Amazon). buttons.

I actually prefer using it for games where rumble and motion controls aren’t needed, like indie platformers and co-op games like Overcooked. The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is arguably one of the best first party console controllers in recent years. Also, Amiibo fans should know that this controller doesn't have NFC support for scanning in Nintendo's interactive toys. You can buy special edition Pro Controllers that feature Splatoon 2 or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 branding, but you won't be able to change the height of the thumbsticks. available for sale at GameStop and the controllers that are available on It’s pretty subtle, but the controllers also have a differing shape that can make the difference for people who prefer a more traditional controller.

The shoulder buttons on the Power A controller are also placed closer together, which I prefer because it makes it easier to tap both buttons with one finger from each hand instead of relying on two fingers at the top of either side of the controller. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. Jumping into Splatoon 2, I noticed a definite uptick in performance when compared with the standard Joy-Cons. playing platformer games since the contacts on each side of the D-Pad The wire included on the Power A controller is 10 feet long which gives it plenty of reach from your Switch dock to the couch, but unfortunately the cable they included with it is microUSB instead of USB-C. It’s not really a big deal since you won’t be unplugging the controller once you have it plugged in, but it is a notable difference between the two controllers. So this is really a matter of taste. Luckily, the standard batteries that PowerA provided lasted for roughly 28 hours so there’s some comfort at that point. Another noticeable difference between the two controllers is the – and + © 2020 NewAge ADS, LLC. Both controllers fit wonderfully in my hand and I have no complaints about the shape, but having played the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, I prefer the rounded shape of the controller “wings” on the Power A controller over the flat “wings” found on the Pro Controller.
This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. the third-party controllers available for the Nintendo Switch. The PowerA controller doesn’t have this problem as the buttons The price difference between the two controllers is pretty significant, too. Each PowerA controller comes with a set of standard sticks and two other sets that you can swap out depending on your needs.

And it comes in some fancy color schemes, too, which can't be said for Nintendo's Frankenstein hodgepodge of materials, colors and textures. If you're in the market for a more hard-core Switch controller  and particularly do not care for rumble   then the PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller deserves your consideration.

There’s also a pretty big difference between the face buttons. This is especially true if you're a competitive gamer who likes playing against friends or people online.

If money isn't a huge concern for you and you have to have rumble, motion controls, and an NFC reader, then the Nintendo Switch Pro controller is the obvious choice.
The AGB buttons feel a bit tacked-on as the inputs are clicky and the buttons can wiggle. However, if the thought of customizable programmable buttons sounds appealing, you want some color options, or you're still saving to buy the next big Switch game, the PowerA should be your pick. The Best Fighting-Game Controllers for PS4, Xbox One and PC, The Best Nintendo Switch Accessories So Far, Apple Silicon MacBook Air release date, price, specs, M1 processor and more, Xbox Series X games: all the exclusives and third-party titles for 2020 and beyond, Apple Event recap: New MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini and more, Apple November event live blog: All the big Apple Silicon Mac news as it happens, Cheaper than the official Switch Pro Controller. You can buy special edition Pro Controllers that feature Splatoon 2 or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 branding, but you won’t be able to change the height of the thumbsticks. Luckily, you’ve got a couple of options depending on your needs. With a much smaller asking price, it is much gentler on the pocketbook. is available for around $69.99, but that’s a hefty add-on for a console Thank you for signing up to Tom's Guide.

there. We may earn a commission for purchases using our links.

Take a look at the image below to see some of the designs. The – and + and HOME buttons on the Pro Controller sit flush with the housing, so they can be somewhat hard to press unless you have a bit of a fingernail to bear down on them. And there are other odd quirks, like wired play presenting more lag than wireless. Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | © NintendoToday.com, 2007-2020.

Ashley lives in the Pacific Northwest and enjoys exploring new games on the Switch.

When you login first time using a Social Login button, we collect your account public profile information shared by Social Login provider, based on your privacy settings.

The design looks sleek and the customization of the analog sticks is a huge plus. Black Friday deals from $10: Save big on Echo, Fire TV, and more at Amazon right now. issues. However, I feel like the Power A controller has a place in anyone’s Switch collection, especially if you like playing local co-op games on the Switch (there’s a ton). play or party games. The PowerA wireless controller doesn't have HD Rumble, IR or Amiibo NFC support like the Switch Pro controller does, but it does have motion controls. The ones that we tested with were specifically the Enhanced Wireless Controller and the wired and wireless GameCube controllers. The PowerA remembers your configuration once powered off so you don't have to worry about configuring the buttons each time you starting playing again. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments. Light controllers usually feel cheap, but I'm happy to report that the PowerA controller has struck a nice balance between form and function. Yes, it should work for both wired and wireless. PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for Nintendo Switch - Pokémon: Pikachu Retro # 1518804 $49.99. Here’s a quick run down of the differences between the two to help you decide. The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller's $70 price tag is a lot to ask for a gamepad, especially considering that Nintendo's option, while good, doesn't completely stack up to the competition from Microsoft and Sony. New M1 Mac Models Don’t Have Support for Thunderbolt 4, but the Older Thunderbolt 3 Standard Instead. While the weight difference between the controllers is noticeable when holding them, it's not a hinderance to gameplay. The provided cable is eight feet in length, which should be plenty to reach the couch for a fun game of Overcooked. Both controllers fit in the hand nicely and the shape of the wings is down to pure preference. That's when it may be time to take a closer look at the PowerA Enhanced controller, which is also one of the best Nintendo Switch controllers out there. New York, The Pro Controller has some pretty big advantages over the PowerA controllers, as long as you’re willing to fork over more than twice the price. The most noticeable difference between the two controllers aside from the eye-catching design is the weight difference. The controller picked up even the smallest movements, which should give hard-core Splatoon 2 and Fortnite players the finesse they desire. and more. The PowerA also has one specific additional feature that gives it a solid edge on its competition. It has a killer D-pad and boasts a built-in NFC reader, motion controls, as well as rumble functionality. I couldn't feel a perceptible drop or increase in performance as I jumped between both input options. this problem, too. Once your account is created, you'll be logged-in to this account. If, however you want to save a few bucks, The PowerA controller is nothing to look down your nose at. character. The Power A controller doesn’t seem to have this problem.

are more elevated. Here are my favorite third-party controllers for Nintendo Switch. The biggest problem with the Pro controller is that it carries a pretty hefty price tag. The buttons and the two control sticks are responsive and smooth to the touch. The PowerA wireless controller may not have an NFC reader or rumble, but it still brings a lot to the table. Plus it comes in several cool designs.

With a considerably lower price than the Pro Controller, you will get an even better D-pad, motion controls, and what really makes in enticing are the two programmable buttons on the back, which allows you a lot of flexibility. However, if the things sacrificed don't matter to you, this may be a perfect controller.

but if you bought a Pro Controller at launch you’ve probably experienced I have a launch Pro Controller, which means it is not the best for playing platformer games since the contacts on each side of the D-Pad are so close that pressing left or right sometimes registers an up or down press. Absolutely! The PowerA controller doesn't have this problem as the buttons are more elevated. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. spouse, or kids then the PowerA controllers are definitely the best of In fact, the Power A controller feels like the design was inspired by the Xbox One controller moreso than the Pro Controller. Configuring the extra buttons is a breeze and can be done by holding down the controller's configuration button on the back. Finally, one of the coolest things that the PowerA offers is the programmable buttons on the back. Ahead of this year’s holiday sales offerings, we thought it would be useful to test whether PowerA’s semi-pro offering can give Nintendo’s Pro controller a run for its money.

Its light weight allows me to play for many hours straight without straining my hands or fingers and the performance of the motion control is on par with that of the Pro controller.