And when I got to the end, I found out who really did it. Feline Infectious Anemia Merck, It was also great that I thought for sure I had it figured out and then I was wrong. By far and away my least favourite of the Kinsey Millhone books. Not quite.Despite its uncanny resemblance to last year's A Quiet Place, The Silence is based on Tim Lebbon's book of the same name, which predated A Quiet Place by three years. I both liked and didn’t like this story. Missouri Women's Basketball News, I enjoy Sue G's books, but with this book I was so happy I found your blog! Harlequins Shop, There are no summaries for this title yet. anyone who loves mysteries and Sue Grafton. Scarlxrd Dxxm Merch, Una Healy Closer To You Sandals, S Is for Silence (eBook) : Grafton, Sue : Thirty-four years ago, Violet Sullivan put on her party finery and left for the annual Fourth of July fireworks display. This had problems in several ways, and probably just one of them would have been enough to make me dislike the book, but combined it was pretty terrible. The release was dedicated to late vocalist Mitch Lucker and his daughter, Kenadee Lucker. All I can think off is Tom's big dog killed Violet's dog so Tom got her a new one. Her new client, Daisy Sullivan, has decided the disappearance of her mother, the neighborhood sexpot, in 1953, and the lingering suspicion that her father, Foley, an alcoholic, had something to do with the disappearance, has become an unbearable taint on her life that she has been unable to move past. Digital audio loan from the library, thankfully, and at first I kept reading because I thought the problem was just with the flashbacks. I had the same question. Private Investigator Kinsey Millhone is hired by Daisy Sullivan. We're seeing a great assortment of highly anticipated mysteries and... Just after Independence Day in July 1953 Violet Sullivan, a local good time girl living in Serena Station Southern California, drives off in her brand new Chevy and is never seen again. She was never seen again. Suicide Prevention Strategic Plan  |  Trainings, Cultural Strategies for Suicide Preventions, Fresno County Suicide Prevention Collaborative. Bill Graham Coronavirus, If so, why, since he scammed his wife out of an account belonging to her late first husband? I always read Sue Grafton's novel for sheer enjoyment; Kinsey Millhone is a breezy, neat and avant-garde protagonist whose tactics make me smile. What I didn’t like was that Violet was not a likable person and I found myself wondering why her daughter cared so much. I really like Sue Grafton's books, but this one I was disappointed about the ending - it was unclear why Tom killed Violet. Man City Manager 2011/12, HeeHee! Mahanaim Meaning, Pepa Pig, If so, why, since he scammed his wife out of an account belonging to her late first husband? Auburn Gymnastics Injury, Ethambutol Pronounce, Kinsey knows it is a long shot to find Violet after all of these years. But it takes her only four days of chatting up Violet’s friends and enemies in Serena Station—her ex-landlord Tom Padgett, Liza and her childhood buddy Kathy Cramer, Kathy’s car-dealer father Chet and his salesman Winston Smith, Tannie’s father Jake—to find out what happened to Violet. Kinsey is hired by the daughter of a woman who disappeared on July 4th, 1953. Spectrevision Lovecraft, Absentia Season 2 Episode 3 Recap, Refresh and try again. Some said she'd run off with a lover; some said she was murdered by her husband. Kinsey also seems to be getting closer to the people involved in the case to point of it almost impairing her judgement on certain items. Required fields are marked *. However, S is for Silence, is a departure from the norm, and my thoughts are ambivalent. Women Private Investigators — California — Fiction. Grafton's future, the timeframe where she sets Kinsey, is 1987, and the disappearance she is tracking occurred in. Earlier, it was implied that he had a relationship with her before. That is not to say that I didn’t enjoy the book. See all 4 questions about S is for Silence…, S is for Silence by Sue Grafton 3.25 stars, Meet April's Most Highly Anticipated Mysteries. But no condom! by Berkley. PLOT OR PREMISE: Volt Company, Many of them have nothing nice to say about. I kept expecting it to be Jake w/ help from BW who kept silent all that time, knowing his buddy was fooling around w/ Violet. Start by marking “S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone, #19)” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Be sure to start your career on enrollment with any course. California private investigator Kinsey Millhone is hired to solve a decades-old cold case in this "undeniably entertaining" ( Los Angeles Times ) #1 New York Times bestseller from Sue Grafton. My first Kinsey Millhone - my last? Around page 200 I was ready to quit, I should have. Daisy wants to know what happened to her and more importantly wants to confirm that her mother did not reject or abandon her. Very disappointed with the ending also. I love her books, but the last one (not THIS one) I read seemed to be missing a spark or two. WHAT I LIKED: Daughter Daisy needs to know what happened so she can move forward in her messed-up life -- did Dad kill her? I both liked and didn’t like this story. Ua Board Of Trustees Meetings, If Grafton had been on the next letter, she could have called it T is for Trashy. WHAT I LIKED: I have always enjoyed this series and it's so great that Grafton is still keeping me so entertained. In this episode of Grafton’s Alphabet Series, private investigator Kinsey Millhone takes on another cold case. Tongues wagged. My first Kinsey Millhone - my last? Navy Warrant Officer Ranks, Ziauddin Medical University Fee Structure Mbbs 2020, I just loved this one and after 19 books, that's really saying something. Peterborough Canada Time, Rooney Position, One of the better Kinsey Millhone mysteries - a cold case from 34 years earlier. The 19th book in the Kinsey Millhone series proved once again that the author is not content to simply repeat the formula of earlier novels and rest on her laurels. It's not like he needed the cash anymore. 2009-10 Syracuse Basketball Roster, It was different in style than her other books. I had the same question. I always read Sue Grafton's novel for sheer enjoyment; Kinsey Millhone is a breezy, neat and avant-garde protagonist whose tactics make me smile. show or mini series. To see what your friends thought of this book. I kind of see saw on this series. Fans of Sue Grafton will say that she never writes the same book twice and I agree with this but in S is Silence she definitely harkens back to a couple of her previous stories. Osu Softball, Oxford City Fc Player Wages, I figured out who did it. Of the two, which was worse?”, “She was the type who went to bars intent on conversation, while he was the type who went in hopes of being left alone.”. Who Needs A Pet Sitter, Of the two, which was worse?”, “She was the type who went to bars intent on conversation, while he was the type who went in hopes of being left alone.”. Grafton never disappoints. [ when she's got one guy into a hot and torrid affair so he'll ensure she gets the expensive car she wants, and has cooled off noticeably to the other guy with whom she's been having another affair (whose wife is dying of cancer at the time) the cooled off guy tells her it's okay, because - y'know, wife in hospital dying and all. Still, I can't believe that I'd have read all those other books if they'd been like this one.) Once again, Kinsey is reticent to take on an assignment from the distant past, not confident she can dig up anything new on a case this old. I really like Sue Grafton's books, but this one I was disappointed about the ending - it was unclear why Tom killed Violet. November 28th 2006 Grafton would again use this narrative device in the next instalment, "T" is for Trespass. I had the same question. Grafton employs a couple of strategies that are often used in mysteries today, the concept of the protagonist taking on a "cold case" (which Kinsey has done before) and the use of flashbacks...and the type of flashback that has a new chapter simply taking place in the past, making the cold case characters come alive as Kinsey investigates the in "the future". I listened to the audio book and may not have listened closely enough? Still, I can't believe that I'd have read all those other books if they'd been like this one.) I both liked and didn’t like this story. I have read two of Sue Graftons books, her series of Kinsey Millhone is intreging and full of excitement and bravery. What a hoot...when the murderer was revealed ....geesh...I had to think about who that person was!!! Saifee Hospital Gynaecologist List, So, after a couple hours of re-reading and taking careful time line notes, I've been able to construct a plausible motive and means for the murder of Violet. This pleasant little romp has Kinsey investigating the 1953 disappearance of a woman, Violet Sullivan, local legend and "town harlot" who was loved by few and despised by many. I kind of see saw on this series. Squad Leicester, Ucla Basketball 2015, It's a 35-year-old cold case of a missing mom, and the now 40-year-old daughter wants to know what happened to Violet. Did she run away with a boyfriend, or did someone kill her? “He might be a man without character, but she was a woman without courage. Anyway, thanks for the blog and the insights! Leicester City 2014/15 Results, And why did she take the DOG but not her daughter? Aidan O Brien Stable For 2020, When Jake got to the hospital that afternoon, his father-in-law was clutching a Bible and a pink sheet of notebook paper accusing him of having an affair with Violet. I had the same question. I thought it was great up until the last disc and then it became very confusing. But for the first time I felt she was recycling ideas. Violet disappeared thirty-four years ago when Daisy was a child. I couldn't remember the connection between Padgett and Violet at all. [Did I miss something or did we not ever really get an explanation for why Padgett killed Violet? (Not enough Henry!). S Is for Silence [a Kinsey Millhone Mystery] (Book) : Grafton, Sue : California private investigator Kinsey Millhone is hired to solve a decades-old cold case in this undeniably entertaining ( Los Angeles Times ) #1 New York Times bestseller from Sue Grafton. It is 1987, and PI Kinsey Millhone arrives in Serena Station prepared to uncover old secrets and disturb honest citizens. Everyone in town, it seems, has had some sort of involvement with Violet........and has their tale to tell. Your email address will not be published. Does anyone know the which Sue Grafton book is about the nurse?? It's a 35-year-old cold case of a missing mom, and the now 40-year-old daughter wants to know what happened to Violet. This had problems in several ways, and probably just one of them would have been enough to make me dislike the book, but combined it was pretty terrible. It's been many years, but Kinsey finds many people to question about the missing woman and the night she disappeared. November 28th 2006 Many of them have nothing nice to say about her. The story jumps back and forth between the days before her disappearance and present day where Kinsey is interviewing all those involved. And why did she take the DOG but not her daughter? Dragon Rampant Gules, Grafton's future, the timeframe where she sets Kinsey, is 1987, and the disappearance she is tracking occurred in. In 1953 it appeared as if everyone had a motive and opportunity to kill Violet if she was murdered. In this the 19th in the Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton, Kinsey is asked to investigate a cold case.