so ugly she got a job haunting Port Arthur. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. Step into the realm of the unknown. ... the scope for messing it up is quite wide! Quick Daily Lessons. “I asked Johnno to pick up some snags for the barbie this arvo, but the galah forgot.” Thongs (Noun) Sandals or ‘flip-flops’, wedged between one’s toes rather than one’s arse cheeks. Well, this is your lucky day. var client = algoliasearch("TDGYKE3N9A", "70e5ab1b8cfe0eb1e150de7e66072323") You heard “telly” before, but “bush telly”? It's Byron Bay YHA, Like the look of this view? Why isn’t everybody using this? http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/60260/what-is-the-origin-of-stitched-up-like-a-kipper. autocomplete('#search-input', {hint: false}, [ Your email address will not be published. We deeply appreciate the erudition and energy of our commenters. stitch up 1. The leader insisted there would be 'no nods, no winks, no deals, no, Although she's been a solo stand-up for the last four years and has appeared on the BBC series, Britain's police, under pressure over poor clear up rates,are participating in a corrosive culture where information and tip-offs are routinely peddled to journalists for, "In the last few days Tommy has labelled me a liar, a perjurer, a conspirator in the mother of all. Some of them describe acts people simply don’t perform any more, or suggest manners and etiquette that no longer apply, while some are … Perth City YHA is central to The Perth Mint, Art Gallery of Western Australia and Perth Zoo. Hobart YHA is the perfect base for all of Hobart's galleries and museums including MONA. While you're here check out the Blue Mountains National Park, Scenic World and Jenolan Caves. How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe... Do you know what languages these words come from? The word YHA and YHA's "Hut and Tree" logos are registered trademarks of YHA I suppose, being the responsible sort, that I should recap my explanation of “grassing,” that British colloquialism for “snitching,” specifically acting as an informer for the police. I’ve only been there a couple of times, but it made quite an impression. To play a prank on someone. Please note that comments are moderated, and will sometimes take a few days to appear. I've stitched up a deal with my mechanic so that I pay only for parts and not labor. Aussie salute – brushing away flies with your hand, outback – the vast (usually arid) interior and rural part of Australia, booze bus – police car used for catching drunk drivers, cactus – beaten, dead, finished, not working, roadie – a beer you buy to take away with you. } Your email address will not be published. Ltd. You ought to use it. if you want to sound like a true Aussie, you should speak through clenched teeth to stop. Turn the seam allowance under about 1/4" and stitch the turned edge onto itself to secure it. to sew something together; to mend a tear or ripped seam. Typically has a great sense of humor. The phrase “to stitch up,” first appearing in the late 16th century, initially meant “to put together by sewing,” with the implication that the work is done in a hurry. A short walk from Southern Cross Railway Station and the Skybus Terminal, Melbourne Central YHA backpacker hostel is right in the heart of Melbourne. More explanations here: And that’s a missed opportunity. Wouldn’t you agree? 2. displayKey: 'post_title', ", 2. Learn a new word every day. Byron Bay YHA is a tropical oasis - central to cafes, restaurants, local bars and Byron Beach. How can you have just a plain, dull barbecue when you could have a “barbie”? (Rhyming slang, common among the working classes of Britain and Australia, uses a system of rhymes to disguise the words actually meant.). It's Sydney Harbour YHA in the Rocks. As soon as the financial arrangements are stitched up, I'll have my lawyers send over the contract. Learn our Aussie lingo, and speak it like a native! }); (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Fair dinkum words and phrases, sent once a week. We were ahead by 10 points and thought that we had the game, Post the Definition of stitch up to Facebook, Share the Definition of stitch up on Twitter. you should avoid using the Australian slang in business or formal contexts because it could do more harm than good. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Please stitch up my shirt. Read on to find out... Join over 1 million people enjoying our ocassional language tips, special offers and much more. Generally used to refer to an area that one’s occupation is in. Welcome to Australia! An Australian piece of slang that means literally everything but the actual food. Struggling to understand the locals in this land of bloody galahs, barbies in the arvo and choccy bikkies with your cuppa? http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/60260/what-is-the-origin-of-stitched-up-like-a-kipper,
. — Scott Jones, Austin, Texas (really from Philadelphia). A noun or pronoun can be used between "stitch" and "up." That’s a new one. A number of these are acronyms that make much more sense once you know what the words in the acronym stand for. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The tailor stitched up the rip in the jacket. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stitch" and "up.". You won't have an excuse for missing your bus, train or plane, with direct access to the Sydney Airport Train line and bus terminals at your doorstep. My primary takeaway, as the biz folk say, was that many of your hometown’s motorists have serious perceptual impairments. Gorgeous eyes, amazing body, and all around attractive. Here’s how to pronounce the 33 letters... Bilingualism is commonly defined as the use of at least two languages by an individual. Often used in passive constructions. Definition of stitch in the Idioms Dictionary. Jay's home on the web! Want more? A “bogan” is an uncouth or unrefined person regarded as being of low social status.