Turns out, the surprise is that Sweet Smell of Success is not a musical. Normally I get yelled at for this, so feel free, but hey, it’s allowed. Sally (Jeff Donnell) is Sidney’s secretary, and she’s desperate for his attention and seems like she’d be willing to kill for him. Sundance 2020: Day 3. Priests or elementary school teachers. Did other movies lead you to it (binging Lancaster movies, etc.)? I feel like this was rare. But at the same token, very impressive to simply ignore my request. OK, I'll start by `declaring an interest here' - I'm a long standing fan of all things Traffic-related, and am delighted that Capaldi's back catalogue is being dusted off, enhanced, embellished and generally made-over. Please try again. How many times have you seen it? Dead bodies give off a distinctive, sickly-sweet odour that's immediately recognisable and hard to forget. Who knows, it could have preventing some of that sweet smell coming my way. Among the true gems of the past is Sweet Smell of Success , the 1957 film noir about the misadventures of a New York publicity agent and his parlous quest to befriend a powerful gossip columnist. How does this film make you feel about the world around you? Let’s toss in Louis C.K. Eventually he heads into his room. Heck this whole world is covered in a layer of muck.

Also, the focus needs to switch from newspapers to the internet/social media. “Come back, Sidney… I wanna chastise you…”. Because, you know, that’s what women did in the ’50s. Yes, I did watch a lot of reruns as a kid.

Not the running time. Thankfully, at this point in my life, I don’t care. Recorded after a hiatus which saw Jim living in Brazil, the album featured classic tracks such as 'MAN WITH NO COUNTRY', the album's title track, a fabulous re-interpretation of the classic TRAFFIC track 'THE LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS' and GOING HOME', co-written with STEVE WINWOOD. Not everything is sunshine and lollipops. In this one sequence (and throughout the movie, really) Sweet Smell of Success is horrifying to unlatch, unfurl.

Wikipedia tells us she was born Jean Marie Donnell, but got the nickname Jeff from the comic strip Mutt and Jeff. This time, there were far too many. To see the good, and use it against someone. Each section begins with a quote from the film. It’s because you eventually realize, while he’s the lead, he’s just trying to find his place within J.J.’s schemes. It’s needless sadism, she believes. Though I have to admit I’m a bit surprised, I thought he would have picked something a little more powerful … That was my first thought. I’m simply a fan of that. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

Also, after Lancaster and Curtis, we get “Introducing Susan Harrison,” which for studios means, “We’re trying to make this girl a star!” While she definitely went on to be a working actress, “star” never happened. Truly, you'll be startled at how edgy this film is, even by today's standards. He's been shut out of the influential column of J.J. Hunsecker (Burt Lancaster) because he could not break up the relationship of jazz musician Steve Dallas (Martin Milner) and J.J.'s sister, Susan Hunsecker (the lovely Susan Harrison who, apparently, did little else of consequence save for giving birth to Darva Conger, who would later achieve her own infamy as a reality starlet).

Jake Gyllenhaal would make an amazing J.J. since he’s willing to do anything for a quality performance. Tony Curtis races into his office/apartment. What is yours? Worth our time? Your Next Assignment: Guest critic Christopher Campbell (NonFics, Film School Rejects) selected the documentary Sherman’s March. Of course, there is no profanity or nudity in the film, and any sexual exploits occur safely offscreen.

I have no problem with it. It was adapted into a musical about 40 years later, with John Lithgow eventually winning a Tony. Now, I’ve seen the film probably fix to six times.

Sam Fragoso, host of Talk Easy and founder of Movie Mezzanine is our guest critic, and he chose Sweet Smell of Success from 1957 (currently available on iTunes and other platforms). Import, Remastered CAPALDI,JIM (Artist) Format: Audio CD. Now for some random thoughts and questions ….

Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. But the sexual bargains that are sealed are certainly not subtly referenced. None of these moments are necessarily enjoyable to sit through, but at least J.J. and Sidney are part of the problem with the way these women are treated. The first thing I noticed was that this film was a Hill-Hecht-Lancaster Production.
You’re a cookie full of arsenic.”.

This film makes me feel like I’m playing a different game of life. Law and Order: The Violence of Summer (February 5,... Resquiat in pacem: Heather O'Rourke (1975 - 1988), Radiohead on Top of the Pops (February 1, 1996), Friday Watch Party: The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, Playlist: Sirius XM’s ‘Dark Wave’ — hosted by Slicing Up Eyeballs (11/8/20).
The reissue includes a booklet that fully restores all original album artwork and features a new essay.