I really needed the motivation today. Escape Routes And Safety Zones, You might weight more after working out due to your body retaining water. These workouts could potentially put you in a calorie deficit and help you lose weight if you are careful about what you eat, but they are not enough to negate overeating on a regular basis.

The scale started going up and, even though I was losing inches, I wasn’t a happy camper. Most people who have just started to work out go through this phase. It's important to remember that just because you can dismiss these minor weight fluctuations as water weight, it doesn't mean people who work out are immune to actual fat gain. At the same time, they overestimate the amount of calories burned during exercise. You're welcome. Where To Buy Puffed Millet, thanks so much! Time to start boot camp again. If you have a balanced diet, there’s nothing to worry about.

I was feeling discouraged. 0 1. fitness guru. Currently, I get on the scale daily for "motivation" if it goes down a little, great it inspires me... if it goes up a little I know I need to work harder. I noticed that i gained about 3 lbs this week from last and i guess its cause i increased my weight i am using for my strength training routine. Some of the temporary weight gain after exercising might also be caused by the way that you're fueling yourself, especially if you're eating for an active lifestyle. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. But as the Cleveland Clinic points out, glycogen binds with water when it is stored in the body. Don't be discouraged by temporary weight gain after exercise. For many of those who have gained weight after starting to exercise, compensatory eating is the culprit. Honolulu, HI 96822 You can read more about the way calories affect your body here. RELATED: The Changes One Trainer Made to Lose Weight After Years of Diet and Exercise Take At Least Three Rest Days Hitting the gym every day in an effort to lose weight … Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Cleveland Clinic: “I Just Started Exercising — Why Am I Gaining Weight?”, University of Hawaii at Manoa: “Exercise Program Can Result in Quick Weight Gain”, American Council on Exercise: “Why Do I Seem to Gain Weight When I Start to Train for an Endurance Race Like a Half-Marathon”, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: “Why Is Physical Activity Important?”, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: “Tip the Calorie Balance”, PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION. Behind The Scenes: Carry On Films, I have started 2017 out right and I am very careful about what I eat. This explains the temporary increase on the scale. Luckily, it’s a temporary issue that doesn’t affect everyone. That’s actually the most common cause of weight gain. The study, "Asymmetric Weight Gain and Loss From Increasing and Decreasing Exercise" is published in the February 2008 issue of the journal Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise. I experienced something similar and I think my not losing was a combination of not eating enough calories and the physical described above.

I'll be patient & wait for the loss now! If Running Doesn't Work for You, Think About Race Walking, How to Give Constructive Feedback to a Fitness Instructor, 5 Powerful Plyometric Moves for Beginners, 6 Killer Tank-Top Arm Workouts for Every Level, 5 Exercises to Skip If You Experience Hip Discomfort, Why You Should Be Doing Unilateral Exercises, 11 Most Common Training Injuries and How to Prevent Them, 5 Common Strength Training Excuses You Can Overcome, 9 Essential Tips to Help You Move More and Sit Less, How to Stay Healthy If You Work Weird Hours, The True Story behind the Turbo Jam Workouts. Technology Expert Crossword Clue, gain weight when you first start working out, gained weight after starting exercise program, gaining weight after starting a new workout, gaining weight when starting an exercise program, weight gain after starting exercise program, why am i gaining weight after starting to exercise, Intermittent Fasting Diet: More Muscle, Less Fat. Wheaties Cereal Ingredients, By varius in forum Losing Fat Replies: 5 Last Post: 09-23-2010, 11:43 AM.

By fitat42 in forum Female Bodybuilding Replies: 11 Last Post: 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM. If you are really sore after a workout, it could be the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles. I started a new workout routine (body pump) recently. fluid retention in body. I have a BA in Marketing and a BA in Psychology. Initial weight gained after starting an exercise program is a temporary problem caused by muscle soreness, muscle gain, water retention and other factors.

Thank you for the information. What’s happening to you right now is perfectly normal. hard to tell cos steroids make you weighty too! This can result in a 3-4 lb weight gain, which can be discouraging to people just starting out. Copyright Policy Policy.