Thank you for your website…loving the recipes. What brand did you use? Bring 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream to a boil and pour it over the chopped chocolate, stir it gently, until smooth and the chocolate is completely melted. Would that make the whole thing too rich or should it still taste just as great as this one seems too? I am Vera, the food blogger behind Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts. I whip heavy cream all the time and have never experienced an issue. All Right Reserved. It always said that the chocolate must be cold, but i found it works better for me if it’s room temperature. Thanks so much Robin I’m really happy you liked my cake! I made this cake for a visiting Aunt that is a self-proclaimed chocoholic. Mine was a bit like a dense, creamy brownie. https://www.browneyedbaker.com/high-altitude-baking/. Is it ok? The cake should be baked in a water bath so the edges don’t dry out (wrap the springform pan in two layers of aluminum foil and place it in larger pan with about 1-1/2 inches of hot water). Hi Ewa, I’m sorry I can say many leafs you’ll need, I always work with gelatin powder. As for collapsing in the center, that is normal and noted in the instructions. =). Run a thin knife between the cake and side of the springform pan, then remove the side of pan. There appears to be a thin bottom crust (graham cracker?). I would be interested in hearing your comments on the consistency of the white chocolate layer after the whipped heavy cream is added. Hi Wanda, So glad you’ve enjoyed this cake! The other layers don’t even have added sugar! HERE is the recipe for the pie we originally made for anyone interested in checking it out. It’s totally on my cooking bucket list. They are my go-to for EVERY recipe. The softness of the mousse is delicate and delicious the three layers make it unique and beautiful.The only challenge I had was that after I cooked the bottom flourless chocolate layer, it shrunk a little in the springform pan and so I was concerned about laying the second layer and having it squeeze through the cracks. Repeat the directions for the chocolate mousse layer, using white chocolate(be careful not to overheat the white chocolate while it’s melting or it will separate and become unusuable). So there you have it, call it what you like but a Chocolate “ it aint. It looked like a professionally made dessert and was so rich and smooth. Ahhhh! Can’t wait to test it out! I currently have it uncovered in the fridge as it settles. Garnish the cake with chocolate curls or shaving if desired. or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Thank you for the recipe. It will be very hard to take out a pretty slice from regular pan. Hi, it was my first time to make this cake for my son’s birthday. Going on my list for the next time I need to make a showstopper! I’m only considering it based on the happy comments given. It appears undercooked in the middle-is that normal? cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed 5 tbsp. Specially my daughter. On medium speed, in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the salt and egg whites until foamy, for about 30 seconds. Hi, can’t wait to try this. Smooth the top with an offset spatula. After that, I was able to scoop it onto the top. The bottom layer is a flourless chocolate cake… the middle layer is a light dark chocolate mousse… and the top layer is an even lighter white chocolate mousse. Press the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 inch (20 cm) springform pan using the back of a spoon. Or should I just wait and see what happens tomorrow? Very funny compared to the middle. Am making a lot of desserts for a party and it would be great if I could have this in the freezer ready to go. It would be awesome if you could put both Fahrenheit and celsius measurement in there and also oz and gram measurements. The first time it went well, the second time the bottom layer significantley shrunk toward the middle. While it did take some time to make, the directions were spot on and it came together easily. The only change I made to the recipe was to use milk chocolate chips in place of white chocolate. Cool Whip makes me sick and there are so many yummy looking recipes that have it. Do you think it will be ok? YUM! It was probably user-error, since I hadn’t tried it before, but I ended-up scraping off the top layer and going back to the original recipe. Can you make 2 days in advance and refrigerate it? Thanks! Did you use a springform pan or regular 9×3 pan? As for separating the cake from the base of the springform pan… I would recommend a large round spatula, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000237LPC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000237LPC&linkCode=as2&tag=broeyebak-20. Are you sure the recipe doesn’t call for heavy whipping cream? With your fingers crumble half of the brown sugar into the mixing bowl, to remove any lumps. In a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until smooth. Longer than that, and you might want to consider transporting it in a cooler. Such a beautiful dessert! It is my go to cake for chocolate lovers’ birthdays. I made this for my moms bday today and the first 2 layers looked amazing but the white chocolate layer turned out lumpy…super lumpy….I don’t know what I did wrong :( do you think it’ll still taste good?? I”be made this cake 3 times before, however made the mousses with a custard base. Hi, I’ve also been thinking of this cake for a long time…any ideas as to how it would transport? I had my husband, my daughter ( she is is crazy about chocolate)and some friends over. This would take a professional pastry chef at least 6 hours. You’re right, I definitely wouldn’t go the applesauce route. Made today with unsweetened powder and was delicious! I’ll let you know how it turns out. Wonderful chocolate cake! If so how do you defrost it? powdered gelatin 1 tbsp. Refrigerate about 15 minutes, while preparing the top layer. Hi Sammy, The bottom layer will be quite bitter without any added sugar; that’s personal preference, really – if you’re okay with it, than you can omit the sugar. Thanks so much! I love making this dessert from Cook’s Illustrated! Can this be made 3 days in advance and placed in the fridge ? Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. One more question. Remove the bottom of the pan and parchment paper then place back the ring from the springform around the cake to use it as a mold for the chocolate mousses. I have seen and admired this cake from the magazine – and you did a perfect job! Take it out the fridge and run a knife around the edge of the pan, unlock the ring from the springform pan, take it off and invert the cake onto a serving plate. Thank you so much for a wonderful cake …. Any of the layers unto themselves sound amazing! I think I will have to make again soon! :) Great blog btw too. I’ve made this a couple of times, and to get around the shrinkage of the bottom layer when layering on the mousse, I butter a long piece of parchment and encircle the bottom layer, between the cake and the sides of the pan, like the collar for a soufflé. It not only looks beautiful, it tastes just as good as it looks. Fun & easy, hope it tastes as lovely as it looks. And many woman who’ve been pregnant know what a coughing fit can do to other pregnancy side effects… (Ouch.). Thanks Ann. It’s amazing! It is the second time I am doing it! However once umnolded and cut, how would you store the remainder of the cake in the fridge? Whisk until smooth. I’m really happy to hear that! This recipe is a keeper! Do not remove the cake from the pan. Hello Good Day! I did let chocolate mixture cool to room temp for 8 minutes, so I don’t think it was that. Hi Gloria, it’s not graham cracker crust, it is chocolate cake crust. Enjoy! Thanks in advance!! I’ve only ever used it to bake cheesecakes with crusts. This is lovely! Hi! wow! I have just put the cake into the oven. =). Thank you so muchfor the recipe! Hi Meg, If it’s only a small amount, it should be okay. I would invest in a better springform pan. This cake is a gift so I need to transfer it from the springform bottom base to a cake box base. Warmly, Anna and Liz, This is a recipe that I just love. This recipe might be a bit over my capabilities but as you mentioned some things are worth the extra effort, so I will give it a try. Also did you put it before adding the cake mixture or on top of the cake? I have not tried making the white layer without gelatin, so I can’t say for certain how it would set up. Everything seemed to go smoothly until the whit chocolate layer. Or is it supposed to be 10oz like the middle layer???? They turned Out really good. I hope you still enjoy the cake! Hi Amna, It can set up just fine with whipped cream, it sets up nicely, like a firm mousse. What if your chocolate cake has three chocolate layers instead of one? Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Instead of doing this last minute cake prep as you show (out of fridge 45 minutes early, then take out of pan when ready to serve), have you ever taken the cake out of pan several hours prior to serving it, plating it then and serving much later? Bravo Vera. I love that you use a lot of their recipes. Hi Daphne, Thank you! !looks awesome..:). Now we need to invite friends and family to get rid of the dessert. but the center got cracked. Hi Cindy, I have never tried freezing this, so I couldn’t say for sure. I will definitely make this again! I don’t quite have enough cream to make this recipe and am loathe to buy another carton :). Can I redeem it anyhow? Any suggestions on an easy way for removal from the base? I’m a vegetarian so won’t be using gelatin… HI Ashley, Yes, you need to use gelatin for the white chocolate layer. Hi, I think it will be to rich, but you can try it anyway.