I generally use a pastry brush and just brush the syrup onto each layer as I’m filling the cake. Making the syrup is really as simple as the name: equal parts water and sugar are boiled together to dissolve the sugar, and once it’s cooled to room temperature you can brush it on each layer of your cake as you’re filling it. Hey y'all! Martha Stewart may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on This recipe for vanilla simple syrup should be used when making Vanilla Egg Cream. Most of the options start with the basic syrup recipe, and a few have extra tweaks. this website. You’ve got several options for getting vanilla flavour into your syrup. Actually, I don't even measure any more. Or a hot day, because chai is delicious anytime. If there are a lot of sugar crystals on the side of the pan, brush them off with a pastry brush dipped in water. Or you might be decorating a naked or semi-naked style cake, in which case the cake won’t be fully covered in icing and there is the potential for moisture loss as the cake sits. You’re really just trying to moisten the top of the cake layer, and the syrup will soak in, moistening the whole layer as the cake sits. All the essential dishes are here, just on a smaller scale. Then try our go-to menu. Are these like the simple syrups that Starbucks uses? This is the bit where it starts to really get fun and creative. MAKE IT SHINE! WHY NOT JUST VANILLA CREAM. You can make it with or without actual tea in it, depending on what you’re using it for. Probably for as long as there have been pastry chefs. Martha Stewart is part of the Meredith Home Group. I’m a huge fan of Amaretto liqueur with chocolate cake and Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur) is fab with chocolate as well. This + a nice rich ganache or chocolate buttercream, and you’ll have the chocolate overload cake of your dreams. I've tried them all and you just can't go wrong how ever you make them. If applying your syrup with a pastry brush, it's a good idea to pour a small amount of syrup into another container or cup and dip your brush into that - this way you won't get crumbs in the rest of your syrup. From which platforms to use and the best books to read, bibliophiles share their advice. Trust me, this easy vanilla syrup recipe only uses 3-4 ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Most of the cakes I make have four layers of cake (and three layers of filling). Repeat until your cake is all layered up. But it’s also an excellent addition to any home baker’s repertoire. I'm Jamie. The Martha Stewart Show, March Winter 2008, The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 3125. I'd love for you to share a pic on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram @sweetness.and.bite & hashtag it #sweetnessandbite ❤. Now that those questions are covered, let’s have a look at the recipe, and then scroll down for ways to flavour this basic simple syrup. Add vanilla, mint, citrus, whiskey, or liquor for more flavor combos! Let cool completely. Leave to infuse as the syrup cools. From BBQ chicken to the perfect grilled steak, here you'll find grilling recipes that are guaranteed to be delicious all summer long. You could also use a spray bottle, and spray each layer. Can also be used in coffee, yogurt or over ice cream. Start by carving out a designated work area in your space. Yeah this is a pretty broad one because there are a million* different fruits in the world but you can adjust and adapt this in any way that you like, these are just some ideas. Since they vary in strength, you’ll need to add them to taste. Butternut squash might be fall's most versatile (and beloved!) Used with Vanilla-Spiked Hot Cocoa recipe #56459. Then just add it to your cake layers…. It’s hard to go past the fresh flavour of peppermint with the rich smooth flavour of chocolate. Sweetness & Bite x Kiwicakes Sprinkle Medley! You just can't mess it up. Another is to add vanilla paste. I believe food is best when shared with family and friends - and dessert is always encouraged! You want it minty, not toothpaste-y. It will complement almost any cake flavour. Vanilla Simple Syrup. The LorAnn flavours are super concentrated, so add them a drop or two at a time. Step one: split your cake/s into multiple layers. You can also try thinning your syrup down a bit with some water to help it soak in more easily. You can make a simple peppermint flavoured syrup to use on your next chocolate cake by adding a few drops of peppermint flavouring oil or extract to your simple syrup. It can also depend on the kind of cake you’re working with.