Can I replace the maple syrup with dates? I'm also an avid yogi, love the great outdoors, am chocolate-obsessed, and enjoy eating almond butter straight off of the spoon. This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is straight out of my childhood. Rachel is a baking QUEEN, and this cookbook is full of dreamy cakes, cheesecakes, cookies, and more! Avoid any streaks of flour, but little clumps in the batter are OK. Divide the batter evenly between your two baking sheets. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the salt and baking powder. Comment Policy: Your feedback is really appreciated! Lovely recipe! Thanks Brook, yes this works if you only have all purpose flour apparently, you can make all purpose flour into self raising with those additions. The cake here is a simple yellow sheet cake. Measure out coconut oil and chill in freezer. Thanks for such a great recipe. If I'm using unsweetened soy milk , should I adjust the sugar or vanilla extract measurements ? Tag @ilovegan on Instagram and hashtag it #ilovegan. While cake is baking, make pudding following instructions on the box but with half the amount of plant milk (e.g., if the instructions require 2 cups of milk, use only 1 cup of milk). You don't want lumps of milk and uneven water or the texture of the biscuits will be off. In my vegan strawberry shortcake, I wanted to make sure the vegan shortcake was tender, just a bit crumbly, and most importantly, easy! My Dad-whom is from the South and doesn't understand vegan had no idea nor questioned the recipe. you think i can change the vegan margarine for vegetable shortening? I have not tested this as gluten free though, so can’t be sure of the result. While the shortcakes are baking slice your strawberries and place into a big bowl, stir in the sugar and then place into the fridge. Slice cakes in half. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Add a sprig for a showstopping dessert presentation. When I was little, my mother used to buy me a strawberries and cream birthday cake from a famous Chicago bakery, Pumpkin Spice French Toast. Site Design by The Denizen Co. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray cake pan (I used a square 9x9 brownie pan) with cooking spray. One is with biscuits, which can be split to make a top and a bottom, and one is with an actual sponge cake. I haven’t tried it, but I think date syrup would work, if that’s what you mean! These shortcakes are divine! Thanks for posting! I am not the greatest baker, but they were really easy to make and delicious. You should get 4 biscuits the first time. Privacy Policy. This recipe did not turn out. And please rate the recipe too! Hi I'm Alison Andrews, I'm the voice and cook behind Loving It Vegan and the author of Simple Vegan Dinner Recipes, a digital program created so that you always know the answer to: 'What's For Dinner?' Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is straight out of my childhood. Pour patter into greased baking pan and place in the center rack of preheated oven for ~18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. I might try them with oat milk next time as it has a creamier texture and works well for baking. Blend ⅓ to ½ of the strawberries. Got any fresh mint on hand? Transfer the cakes to a cooling wrack and let them cool completely (2 hours, or up to overnight: you can prepare them the day before assembly). Help! As you do this, it’s nice to save your scraps! Hi there! Place in fridge to cool, while cake continues to bake. Will defnitely make them for Scones soon! Your email address will not be published. Head to our Recipe Index to get cooking, or dive into our Vegan Resources to learn about veganism! Find out more about me here. Place each biscuit on the pan, just touching each other, as pictured. About Me →, This post may contain affiliate links. . Rachel is a baking QUEEN, and this cookbook is full of dreamy cakes, cheesecakes, cookies, and more! Crafting a thoughtful, practical newsletter is part of my goal to help you approach vegan cooking with a sense of ease and confidence! Everything else will be as normal. The dough will be slightly sticky but should be easy to handle. Hi Jen! Anyways, very yummy, will hands down make again, SCORE!! Food Processor Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca) ». This is getting me so excited about Spring!!! ★☆. Add vinegar to 1 cup plant milk and set aside. Hope all is well with you and your loved ones. This recipe is from my friend Rachel’s new cookbook, Bakerita: 100+ No-Fuss Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free Recipes for the Modern Baker. I've been parceling out baked goods for elderly neighbours who are cocooning and everyone had RAVE reviews (and these are old Irish folks who *love* their butter and milk!). Start with a layer of shortcake, top with a spoonful of strawberries, top with a dollop of coconut whip, and repeat. Sign up to our email list to stay updated with all our latest recipes!