CBC Toronto’s “Metro Morning” host Matt Galloway is leaving the popular show and has been announced as the new host of the nationwide current-affairs radio program “The Current.” "There is no greater thrill than talking every morning about the city you live in, and radio is still one of the best ways to do that," he said. Probably not, Future of business travel unclear as virus upends work life, DeChambeau brings his bulk and behemoth drives to Augusta, Taylor Swift Picks Out A Cardigan In New Capital One Ad, Which Holiday Fashion Trend Should You Try Right Now Based on Your Personality, Texas Becomes First State in the U.S. to Surpass 1 Million Coronavirus Cases, I Love Haenyeo’s Salad Dressing So Much, I Asked the Chef How to Make It, BMW Definition CE04 is my electric cyberpunk pizza delivery dream scooter, Why rollout of COVID-19 vaccine could be 'the most difficult part' in Canada, Hong Kong's pro-democracy lawmakers to resign en masse, Stephen Poloz on interest rates, our oil industry and the K-shaped recovery — podcast, Opinion: Tony La Russa's managerial comeback got a lot more uncomfortable with DUI arrest, Sarah Silverman Guest-Hosts ‘Ellen’ And Chats With Anthony Anderson About His Mom’s Love Of Bingo, For 50 Years, Canadian Women Have Needed Child Care. ', Hong Kong exchange operator backs decision to halt Ant's record IPO, Play-by-play announcer Kenny Albert will call a high school football game this week, Nick And Vanessa Lachey Share Touching Messages To Each Other On Joint Birthdays, How to Boost Happy Chemicals in Your Brain Starting Now Naturally. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Winnipeg-based broadcaster Ismaila Alfa, shown in a handout photo, is the new host of CBC Radio One's "Metro Morning." Galloway left his nearly 10-year hosting job at “Metro Morning” to take over CBC Radio’s flagship national show “The Current.”.
Comments are welcome while open. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-CBC Mandatory Credit TORONTO — Winnipeg-based broadcaster Ismaila Alfa is the new host of CBC Radio One’s “Metro Morning.” The … Be the first to know! A new host of Metro Morning will be named following a search that will begin in the coming days.

Alfa has been working with CBC Radio since 2008, most recently as host of Winnipeg’s afternoon current affairs program “Up to Speed.”. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Curious and smart, he asks the questions that need asking. Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted. Send me alerts, event notifications and special deals or information from our carefully screened partners that may be of interest to me. Laura Lynch, who has been filling in since Anna Maria Tremonti’s departure in June, will continue to helm the show until then. He joined CBC Toronto's top-rated morning show Metro Morning in 2010, succeeding longtime anchor Andy Barrie. ", Tim Richards, director of journalism and programming at CBC Toronto, said Alfa "will bring new energy and a fresh perspective to Toronto audiences. To order copies of

He has also been a guest host on "Metro Morning" since Matt Galloway's departure in January. Alfa is coming to Toronto from CBC Manitoba, and says he looks forward to exploring a city he's always loved from afar with fresh eyes. Alfa was born in Zaria, Nigeria, before moving to Edmonton at the age of eight.

Guest host Laura Lynch will continue to anchor the show in the interim. Send me promotions, surveys and info from 680 NEWS and other Rogers brands. Upon Galloway taking the job, a CBC boss suggested that his previously fill-in stints on “Metro Morning” helped the show “maintain its number 1 standing in the community.” In 2016 the CBC crowed about the show’s ratings, stating that “Metro Morning” had been declared by Toronto morning ratings champ for 100th time by industry tracker Numeris.

Box 500 Station A Toronto, ON Canada, M5W 1E6.

(Laura Lynch will host “The Current” in the interim period. Get breaking news, weather and traffic stories in your inbox 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. All CBC has not announced a new host for the show, which airs on weekdays from 5:30 to 8:30 a.m., directly preceding “The Current.”, “Matt has done an outstanding job on ‘Metro Morning.’ And while it is hard to think of a ‘Metro Morning’ without Matt, it is also important that our brightest and best get new opportunities,” said Susan Marjetti, the CBC’s executive director of radio and audio, going on to say that Galloway “asks the questions that need asking. CBC has revealed that Matt Galloway, the longtime host of CBC Radio One Toronto’s Metro Morning, is set to take over hosting duties on The Current in the New Year.. Galloway, who joined Metro Morning in 2010, will officially join the national show on Jan. 6, 2020. July 7, 2020 11:59 AM | The Canadian Press, TORONTO — Winnipeg-based broadcaster Ismaila Alfa is the new host of CBC Radio One’s “Metro Morning.”.

In 1995, he was invited to join CBC Radio as the host of CBLA-FM's morning drive-time show, Metro Morning, in Toronto, Ontario, the talk and current affairs program that became the top-rated morning radio show in Toronto. Meet Metro Morning's new host, Ismaila Alfa. To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Ismaila Alfa Leaving Winnipeg to Host CBC Radio’s ‘Metro Morning’, Previous: Turbulence in Canadian Opinion on Airlines COVID-19 Response, Next: No New COVID-19 Cases in Manitoba on Tuesday, All of Manitoba Moving to Code Red, Non-Essential Businesses Closing, Lac du Bonnet Hunter Rescued After Becoming Lost, Winnipeg Closes Playgrounds, Skate Parks and Sports Fields, 384 New Cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba on Tuesday; 5 Additional Deaths, Manitoba Businesses Hurt by COVID-19 Restrictions Can Apply for $5K Grant. Matt Galloway has been announced as the new host of CBC Radio’s weekday morning current affairs show The Current. By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. I will be learning about my new home with curiosity and affection.”, Tim Richards, director of journalism and programming at CBC Toronto, said Alfa “will bring new energy and a fresh perspective to Toronto audiences.”, “As a guest host on ‘Metro Morning’ during the early days of the pandemic and recent events focused on anti-Black racism, Ismaila has already sparked a bond with Toronto listeners by navigating through this remarkable moment in history with empathy and steadiness and the strong journalism he has brought to Winnipeg listeners for years.”. “I’m looking forward to being part of the big stories in Canada today, and diving into the international topics that I’m always curious about,” said Galloway in a news release on Thursday morning. {* forgotPassword_sendButton *}, {* backButton *} What do you think of Galloway's departure? “I’ve wanted to live in Toronto for years, since touring as a musician. expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Toronto Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Galloway left his nearly 10-year hosting job at "Metro Morning" to take over CBC Radio's flagship national show "The Current.". Updated October 24, … He said he can't wait for the day when people come up to him in the crowd (after COVID-19, of course) to suggest possible stories and issues to cover. Daily updates for Weather, Traffic, News, and Entertainment, Notify me when there is a 680 NEWS Weather Guarantee Jackpot potential winner announcement, Daily updates for the day’s top news headlines, Weekly updates on weekend events, tips, contests/offers. "Toronto is filled with incredible stories, whether they're on the GO Train, in the bike lanes or on Shawarma Row. To order "I'm looking forward to being part of the big stories in Canada today, and diving into the international topics that I'm always curious about.". Published October 24, 2019. He toured Canada and the United States as a hip-hop musician for almost a decade before joining CBC Radio in Winnipeg, where he started hosting "Up to Speed" in June 2013. Alfa, who has been hosting the show in recent weeks, officially begins at the end of August. WATCH | Ismaila Alfa gets into the groove at the 2016 Winnipeg Folk Festival: At CBC Manitoba, Alfa worked his way up from being an intern with no formal journalism training to hosting shows, including Scene, about arts and culture, and the afternoon show Up to Speed. Comments are welcome while open. He has covered several high-profile events, such as, the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, and the 2010 FIFA World Cup. TORONTO — Winnipeg-based broadcaster Ismaila Alfa is the new host of CBC Radio One’s “Metro Morning.”.

https://t.co/UCJ5QoueAw, — Ismaila Alfa (@CBCIsmaila) July 7, 2020. CBC says he got The Current gig after “a thorough search” that followed Ms. Tremonti’s departure.