For example, “Peter was fired because he never came to work on time.” Usually if someone is fired, it’s because they did something bad.

How Keywords Can Get You a Job .

I get along well with all of my __________. This word is used especially on forms and in formal writing, a short trip for all the employees in a particular department or company, especially so that they can learn more about each other and how to work together better, humorous any piece of work that someone produces, the total work that a company has agreed to do in the future, which shows how safe its workers’ jobs are, formal a situation in which someone has more than one job or position, especially in a church, a way of organizing your working life in which you work for several different employers and do several different jobs at one time instead of working all the time for one employer, British a job, especially one with a lot of responsibility, a period of time during which someone who has been given a new job is watched to see whether they can do the job well and stay in the position, a job that you need special skills and qualifications to do, especially one with high social status, the process of obtaining the skills, qualifications, and experience that allow you to make progress in your career, in a way that is connected with your work or career, chances of success, especially in a job or career, work or duties done for a person or an organization, a job that someone has as part of a team of people, the period of time during which someone has an important job or is an elected official, a period of time during which a politician or other official holds their job, a job or type of work that someone is trained to do, a job that is available for someone to do, the job someone does or the position they have in society, the things that you do as part of your job, something that someone makes or does in their job, the experience and skills that you gain in doing a particular job, the period of time in your life that you work, the amount of work that a person or organization has to do.

Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect. There’s also a bonus quiz with extra vocabulary related to professions. Sie können Ihre Einstellungen jederzeit ändern. I'm ______-employed; I do freelance web design. Please wait while the activity loads. Für nähere Informationen zur Nutzung Ihrer Daten lesen Sie bitte unsere Datenschutzerklärung und Cookie-Richtlinie. After these phrases, use the -ING form of the verb. If you decide to leave your job, there are three verbs you can use: “Quit” is informal, “resign” is formal, and “leave” can be formal or informal. ", "I'm responsible for giving clients legal assistance. The company becomes your employer. Vocabulary list with useful words for jobs, occupation and emploayment - Learning English Online

When you’re hired, you become an employee of the company. ", "I'm responsible for preparing food for customers. Helping kids learn to read is very ___________ because it's a skill they'll use for the rest of their lives. Yahoo ist Teil von Verizon Media.

At the end of the year, some companies give their employees a bonus – extra money for work well done. The other employees in the company are your colleagues or coworkers. General words for workers and types of worker, People who do boring, unimportant or unpleasant work. Job mistakes: being distracted, gossiping, taking time off, complaining, discussing politics, acting out, job hopping, holding grudges or being resentful, constant chattering, being selfish, using text or personal phones www.myvocabulary.com offers more than 550 word lists. If you’re older than that and you’ve stopped working, you can describe your current situation by saying, “I’m retired.”. My job involves giving tours of the museum. Damit Verizon Media und unsere Partner Ihre personenbezogenen Daten verarbeiten können, wählen Sie bitte 'Ich stimme zu.' The following is a list of commonly used action verbs for describing positions. Persistence Also, this page requires javascript. Good luck! I __________ because I didn't like working such long hours. ", "I'm responsible for selling houses, buildings, and land. We typically use the expression go to work for arriving at work, and get off work for leaving work. That’s it for Lesson 1 of the Business English Course! Once you are finished, click the button below. Job Description Action Verbs . Do you like your job? ". Resumes and interviews are the key opportunities job candidates have to make their mark. For example, “I work at Espresso English” or “I work for Nike.” You can also use “for” if you work directly for a famous person: “I work for Tom Cruise. Definitions come from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary unless otherwise noted. Note that this list is a sample of potential verbs, and not We threw a big party for my father when he __________ after 35 years in the company. work that you do regularly to earn money. If an employee loses his or her job because of a neutral reason, like the company reducing its size, then we say the employee was laid off. You have not finished your quiz. How do you answer this question if you don’t have a job? ", "I'm responsible for designing buildings and bridges. For example, “I was hired by an insurance company just two weeks after graduating from college.”. This list should be used as a guide when completely the Essential Functions of the PDQ. ", "I'm responsible for supervising a department with 20 employees. There’s also a bonus quiz with extra vocabulary related to professions. an action or change of job that helps you to be successful in your career, the type of career, training, or education that someone has had, used for talking about business compared to things that you do when you are not working, a strong feeling of wanting to do something, especially as a career, a strong feeling that you must do a particular type of job, especially one that you consider morally good, a job or series of related jobs that you do, especially a profession that you spend a lot of your working life in, the time when a sports player, entertainer, or artist is active or working, a career politician, soldier, teacher etc wants to be in their profession for a long time and to achieve success or power in it, British connected with the process of choosing a career, British a system for making regular progress in your career by moving to a more important job or position each time, a way of working together where people from different backgrounds are invited to jointly produce a product or service that will benefit all of them, the process of working with someone to produce something, something that people produce by working together, the process of giving some of your work, duties, or responsibilities to a less senior person or a less powerful person, the way that the work that needs to be done is divided so that different people are responsible for different parts of it, the fact of having the relevant skills, qualifications, experience, or qualities to get a job, work that you are paid regularly to do for a person or company, a second career that someone has after retiring from the first, someone’s job or particular responsibility, mainly American a piece of work that you do for money, especially if you are self-employed, a method of working in which people do not have their own desk in an office but use any desk that is available at a particular time, formal the fact of having an official position, or the time during which someone has it.

In some jobs, you work shifts – meaning the hours aren’t the same every day; instead, you work a specific block of hours that the manager schedules.

Don’t make the mistake of saying “win a salary” – the correct verb is “earn.”.

A small number of companies offer flex-time, meaning the employee can set his/her own schedule. ", "I'm responsible for helping clients resolve emotional problems. If you’re good at your job, you might get a pay raise (or a raise) – an increase in your salary. You can say: Here are some other reasons you might not have a job: If you work for yourself, you can say “I’m self-employed.” If you have your own company, you can say, “I own a small business,” or more specifically, “I own a restaurant” or “I own a graphic design company.”. A keyword, when used to job search, is a word or term that is related to the type of employment you are searching for. Wir und unsere Partner nutzen Cookies und ähnliche Technik, um Daten auf Ihrem Gerät zu speichern und/oder darauf zuzugreifen, für folgende Zwecke: um personalisierte Werbung und Inhalte zu zeigen, zur Messung von Anzeigen und Inhalten, um mehr über die Zielgruppe zu erfahren sowie für die Entwicklung von Produkten. For example, “Donna was laid off when her company started having financial problems.”. First, take time to review the job posting and identify which requirements align with your strengths and experiences. Here are some different ways to talk about how you feel about your work: When you are officially accepted into a new job at a company, you are hired by the company. A lot of people ________________ during the global financial crisis. Join Macmillan Dictionary on Twitter and Facebook for daily word facts, quizzes and language news. Daten über Ihr Gerät und Ihre Internetverbindung, darunter Ihre IP-Adresse, Such- und Browsingaktivität bei Ihrer Nutzung der Websites und Apps von Verizon Media. Free thesaurus definition of general words relating to jobs and work from the Macmillan English Dictionary - a free English dictionary online with thesaurus … When you search for a job by keyword, all the positions that contain the word or term you entered will be listed in the posting. Let’s review: ... Now you can take the vocabulary quiz to practice using these words in sentences. In most countries, people retire around age 65. Below are a couple of examples of exclusionary words we’ve found in job descriptions. ", "Real estate agents" are also called "realtors. The person above you who is responsible for your work is your boss or supervisor. If this activity does not load, try refreshing your browser.

If loading fails, click here to try again. After these phrases, use the -ING form of the verb.

", "I'm responsible for answering phone calls and welcoming visitors. When an old person decides to stop working, the verb for this is retire. You need to get approval from the _________ before signing that contract. They're great to work with.

In conversational English, the question “Where do you work?” is commonly phrased as “What do you do?” or “What do you do for a living?”, You can answer with one of the “I work…” phrases we just learned, or you can say “I’m a/an… (your job title).”. "I'm responsible for taking care of patients and giving them their medicine. This is a free sample from the Business English Course. Welcome to Lesson 1 of the Business English Course – Essential Job Vocabulary. You can click here to sign up and get all 40 lessons! The employee with the best work will ___________. Then, look for power words that … Please visit using a browser with javascript enabled. You can work full-time (usually about 40 hours per week) or part-time (usually 15-25 hours per week).